Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lambrettalad
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Waterless Coolant

Post by lambrettalad »

Talking to a chap at the NEC,who had a modified Triumph 2.5 pi,who has been able to reduce his pressure cap from 20 psi to 4psi,by using evans waterless coolant in the Stag engine fitted to his four wheel drive ,auto 2.5 .

Tought this was interesting
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
Dean
Minor Legend

Re: Waterless Coolant

Post by Dean »

I took a glancing look as I walked passed and wondered what it was. Am I right in thinking you never ever have to replace your coolant if this is used?
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why on earth did he ever have a 20 psi cap on the system. He's mad. Just fix the problem - he's hiding it. Water is fine witha splash of antifreeze of course.
ImageImage
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

You only replace the waterless coolant (at £40 per 5l for the prep fluid and £65 for 5l for the coolant itself), when, unbeknownst to you it has all leaked out of a small hole in a hose while you were driving along!! The good thing about ol' H2O is that it is free, usually available anywhere you happen to break down and, providing you check the levels regularly, perhaps flush your entire cooling system every now and then, and remember to add the required strength of anti-freeze, it will keep you minoring for many many years :lol:

Helpfully, the Minor cooling system, assuming you have a heater fitted, is just a shade over 5.5l. This means you probably need 2x prep fluid (£80) and 2x coolant (£130) making a grand total of £210. You can buy a hell of a lot of anti-freeze for that sort of cash. :wink:

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Dean
they say it lasts for life
here is their link
http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/faqs.html

seems plausible ,but very expensive ,tho you might get 10% said the Evans bloke at the show
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

they do but its still pricey im sticking with what ive got cant see a problem if you change antifreeze every now and then .
[sig]5641[/sig]
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I suppose, if it only goes in the once and never needs topping up, it has to be priced accordingly. Personally, I'll stick with tap water and a touch of antifreeze to taste.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Stag heads are infamous for blowing head gaskets and warping,moggie gaskets are pretty un-robust .He was running an original ,unmolested mid 70's engine.
Cheers Alex

[/color]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

True the old Triumph V8s had cooling problems, but these should have all been long sorted. Can't say anything about the 2.5 PI engine as I don't know anything about it. But the earlier Triumph 2000 engines were from late model Standard Vanguards which were damn good cars.

Anyway back to topic I can't see how this coolant would prevent overheating any more than a normal water/antifreeze mix?

Plus antifreeze contains corrosion inhibitors so it's a lot of money to spend on something of little to no benefit to us folk.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Advertising obviously works - this type of product keeps getting raised. We have discussed it to death many times, and the overall consensus is that it is a complete waste of money for a standard Minor engine. Stick to water + Bluecol antifreeze. If you want to see the arguments in full, just search for the relevant topics.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I'm not going to use it in my moggie,but i've always hankered after a stag(could never afford one in the 70's :( ) and i'll keep the info in consideration.
Cheers Alex

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

His Stag engine is obviously in trouble if it needs a 20 psi cap. My TR7 is half that engine - so same dodgey gasket problems - except his are X 2..... but the main trouble is the stupid built-in water pump driven off a jack shaft. When the seals fail - water gets in the oil, and the head gasket blows. Grrrrrrrr
Last edited by bmcecosse on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Twin SchUtz
Minor Friendly

Post by Twin SchUtz »

Didn't We read something about a Guy rebuilding a stag engine who dug out like a kilo of old sand left in the block left since the casting? :o
morris minor man
Minor Friendly

Post by morris minor man »

it is you are right it is very expensive stuff it was on tv a few months a go....so iv only seen it advertised and I know no one that has used it...or sell it???
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

True the old Triumph V8s had cooling problems, but these should have all been long sorted.
A stag V8 with no cooling problems?? that'll be the day!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(