BACK AXLE OIL LEVEL

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
NIGEL15
MMOC Member: No

BACK AXLE OIL LEVEL

Post by NIGEL15 »

I recently bought a 1959 948 for my son as his first car. Having carried out extensive welding rebuiling etc he is really pleased with it and it is coping well with the abuse.
I think the rear axle has been changed at some time as I have a problem in that there is no level bung for the oil in the diff. Someone has enlarged the breather on top of the axle casing to allow you to get oil in with great difficulty and I drained it first so I knew how much to put in. Can anyone suggest what is wrong. Should the axle have a level bung or is the diff out of something other than a Minor?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: BACK AXLE OIL LEVEL

Post by bmcecosse »

What you have is an unfortunate combination of final drive - and axle casing. Some final drive units have the fill plug in the body of the drive, and some don't....and some axles have the fill plug in the back of the casing....and some don't. So - depending on the combination you can have one fill point, or two fill points - or none...which is your situation. The level is not super critical - so just add EP90 through the breather. :)
ImageImage
katy
Minor Legend

Re: BACK AXLE OIL LEVEL

Post by katy »

The BMC manual calls for .85 litre of lubricant, so if you put in that much you shouldn't have to worry about it as long as you have no leaks. :D
Talk slow, think fast!