Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
matt993fod
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Car Tracker

Post by matt993fod »

Hey folks

My Moggy is an utterly precious family heirloom that I have the good fortune to have inherited. It is my cherished daily driver and I love it to bits. I am constantly paranoid about it being stolen, particularly as I have recently moved to a less than pleasant area as I can't afford to live anywhere nicer. Would that I could afford to rent a garage or lock up.

Has anyone heard of a good GPS car tracking device that works well in a classic? There are loads on the market, but most seem to be aimed at modern machines, and don't seem to have been designed with classics in mind.

An additional security feature like this would really give me some piece of mind. At the moment its getting a bit embarrasing to be honest; everytime I hear a noise from outside my house I can't sleep unless I look out the window and check to make sure the car is ok. Not healthy!

Thanks folks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Car Tracker

Post by bmcecosse »

Fit a secret switch......or two.....
ImageImage
Vernon
Minor Fan

Post by Vernon »

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

The Minor as standard is +ve earth. All modern products will be -ve earth only, so if you have not already converted, do it first. Visible deterrents such as steering wheel cover locks and handbrake/gearlever locks will usually persuade wrongdoers to move to an easier target, rather than wasting time on yours. As Roy says, secret switches can help, as can removing the rotar arm.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I'm pretty sure there is a battery-operated tracker which you conceal inside the car, and it had good reviews. Only problem is, I can't recall the name of it...

It's best to have a good visual deterrent to quash the would-be-thief's very thoughts, i.e. a Disclok is the best for this.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

It's very easy to convert to -ve earth.
Once that has been done it shouldn't be very difficult to fit the tracker from Amazon.
Along with a secret switch and a disclok you have belt, braces and an elasticated waistband.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
beamand
Minor Friendly

Post by beamand »

See info@rbs-propertymarking.co.uk for a portable tracking system which can be transfered from car to car