Front Seat types? Adjustable/reclining etc

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
singleton
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Front Seat types? Adjustable/reclining etc

Post by singleton »

Hello all just wanted to pick brains really, on the later cars late 60s etc were the standard front seats adjustable forwards and backwards on the drivers and fixed on the passenger side or was the adjustable drivers seat deluxe spec? I have seen a morris minor with standard looking seats with reclining back rests as well was this an optional extra at the time?
[sig]10193[/sig]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Front Seat types? Adjustable/reclining etc

Post by MarkyB »

Sounds about right, a bit more adjustment for and aft but using different bolt holes.

Reclining seats are very rare, fitted to some early cars and maybe some for disabled use I think.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Quote from Motor and Classic Cars - Brooklands Books - Morris Minor 1948-1983 - Minor 1000 road test 'MOTOR' 1959 "Only the driving seat is adjustable and that clumsily over a very limited range, but alternative mounting points on the floor allow for the passenger seat and/or the whole range of driving-seat adjustment being semi-permanent set back a short distance if legroom in the front is more valuable than rear-seat roominess".
I personally have never come across a Minor with reclining front seats from new only after market ones but having used the search facility it appears that they were fitted to very late Minors. In the back of my mind I am certain that I have seen a post/technical tip on how to make the standard seats recline.
Just spotted a photograph in the same book as quoted above of a Minor Traveller Reg No: 017 LA with reclining seats but they do say they are not standard but they do look standard BMC.

Rippers

Post by Rippers »

I have seen several very late cars (nearly all travellers - some ex RAF) with these factory fitted adjustable seats.

One of the owners (who had new covers made for his Traveller by Newton Commercial) seemed to think they were Maxi fittings but sizewise they look more 1100/1300.

Just one of the many interior variations Minors sported over the years............ :P

Probably not as rare as wither the 'Autumn Leaf' coloured interior used on a few late cars or the 'Tartan' seat covers offers for a short while in the early 50's
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

When I realised that the Minor traveller (details above) was fitted with reclining seats they reminded me of the seats fitted to the 1100/1300cc and were possibly Vanden Plas.

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

My '58 saloon had a reclining passenger seat (and an adjustable front seat as expected) and I have no reason to doubt they're the seats it left the dealership with. Maybe they were an option?