Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TRIUMPH66
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

NGK V CHAMPION SPARK PLUGS

Post by TRIUMPH66 »

I was talking to a mechanic the other day who told me to get shot of the Champion plugs as they aren't as good as NGK ones as the Champions ones tends to overheat too much. I have always used NGK plugs on my mowers, chainsaws, hedge cutters, etc.. but only fitted Champions to my 2 Morrises as they were part of the service kit. Does anyone have a view as I am thinking of buying a box of 10 NGK BP6ES plugs for my servicing kit.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: NGK V CHAMPION SPARK PLUGS

Post by bmcecosse »

AVOID the NGK pugs - there is absolutely nothing wrong with Champions.....why on earth would they 'overheat'?? They are available in a whole range of heat ratings. Is your engine standard? Or modified? Where DO these 'mechanics' get these crazy ideas :roll: ????
ImageImage
blues2rock
Minor Friendly

Post by blues2rock »

Champions are fine for an 'A' series engine. They did get a (deserved) poor reputation in the late 70's when they didn't work well in the Ford engines of that period and mud sticks.

I use them without any problems.
Mr Angry from Maldon
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Champion are THE Champions
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Just to add to the mix, I recently bought some Champions on eBay from 'an MGB shop' and they gave me no end of problems, I eventually diagnosed my missfire to the fact 3 out of the 4 weren't sparking properly.
Moral - even the best plugs have their off days!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Champions every time.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i have used champion plugs all the time no probs
[sig]5641[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No wonder they 'didn't spark right'.....if you weren't using them in an MGB! :roll: Being realistic - some of the spark plug (all makes) problems come about with using resistive leads, with resistive caps - and resistive plugs! So if the plug code has an 'R' in it - don't over-do the resistive components upstream!
ImageImage
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

They were N9Y's, not 'R' ones, sold by a large 'MGB' supplier on ebay, so possibly sold as Midget plugs, which I used in my Minor.... Got it running again on some NOS Autolite AL5's I happened to have on the passenger seat!
I still use Champions, I'm just pointing out that even the best spark plugs have their down days!
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

I swapped to NGK as I always found that one Champion plug would eventually fail but then I run them for ages. I also found Bero reliable. Didn't someone have a problem with the tip coming off an NGK ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I was only yanking your chain matey.... :lol:
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I use Accuspark AC9C plugs ever since I had some problems with both Champion and NGK a couple of years back.
These are great and I swear by them. I used them first in my 1098 and now in my 1275. Link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170667886852? ... 1423.l2648

However all this is about personal preference and people must go with what they are comfortable with. Mind you, this type of post has it's value too, in that it presents members with a range of alternatives.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Champion spark plug caps seem expensive, make a fortune on ebay, shame I've only got 3.

TRIUMPH66
Minor Friendly

Post by TRIUMPH66 »

Thanks for the feedback chaps; it seems that the vast majority here run their Morris on Champion plugs. That's good enough for me. Incidentally the mechanic who told me about the 'problem' runs a Minor LCV himself and is a classic car buff. Perhaps he had a bad incident in the past. I will stick to the NGK for my horticultural machinery though.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

I run NGK BP8ES in our 1380 and never had problem with them in the last 15 years since the restoration with them. Started off with BP7ES, but changed to BP8ES during the well-documented phase of local overheating after removing the by-pass hose. One of the BP7ES plugs burnt out, so went one step colder and have stayed there. Could go back to BP7ES now though.

In the original engine, a modified 948, I ran Champion N9Y's, and N5 before that, before projected core nose plugs were commonly available (mid '60's) - also never had a problem with either of them.
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh - so it was the BP7ES plugs that caused the misfiring! Not the missing bypass hose..... :lol: :roll: :oops:
ImageImage
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Really? I don't think so.

Cause and effect:

Cause - overheating though poor water circulation

Effect - sticking valve (evidenced by yellow stain on valve stem), burnt out No. 1 exhaust valve and burnt out plug. Upped the plug spec to BP8ES during the problem time to see if it helped. No more burnt out plugs, but still misfired under load though valve 'nipping'. Replaced by-pass hose and no more problems since - that was around 5 years and 25,000 miles ago.

The topic is on Champion vs NGK and people's experience with them - can we stay on topic?
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hahahahah - I was yanking your chain Richard...
ImageImage
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Yawn!
Richard

IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Yawn!
Wasn't meant to be posted twice, but maybe??
Richard