fitting indicators to 1955 splitscreen 4dr saloon

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
highway
MMOC Member: No

fitting indicators to 1955 splitscreen 4dr saloon

Post by highway »

anybody outthere help with wiring diagram or information on how to fit indicators to my 1955 saloon. IN DESPERATE NEED. :(
Willie
Minor Legend

indicators

Post by Willie »

Lo, you have to decide which type of indicator lamps to fit. The
ones which were used in the 1950's when people modified their
cars were the single amber domed glass type as used on the
MINI. you must cut holes for them in the rear wings OR mount
them on plates on the bumper assembly. The front lamps can
be the same amber lamps OR you can obtain the later white
front lamps which have provision for a winker bulb.
For the wiring I suggest you buy the MMOC 'Technical Manual'
available as a book or a CD which contains a great deal of
useful info. Since you are fitting flashers I think it unwise to
keep the semaphores working at the same time...no point..
but it is possible. The manual gives wiring diagrams for both
systems.
Willie
george

Re: fitting indicators to 1955 splitscreen 4dr saloon

Post by george »

highway wrote:anybody outthere help with wiring diagram or information on how to fit indicators to my 1955 saloon. IN DESPERATE NEED. :(
George
sidsmith
Minor Fan

fitting indicators to a 1955 splitscreen

Post by sidsmith »

:( Hi, I've just been scrolling through the old threads and come across this one about the indicators. Could you tell me as to why you say it would be unwise to have the semaphores working at the same time as the flashing indicators, My '56 splitscreen has been like that for a couple of years now and I haven't noticed a problem, I indicate, the semaphore sticks out and the flashers come on all at the same time 'till i cancel them, am I tempting fate ?
Mungo
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

I have both in use - just have a switch to turn the trafficators off on motorways etc. Not really designed for those sorts of speeds!

They have been fine for the last 10 years.
Richard

Phil-tq
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-tq »

Just about to look at this myself. The car has had a new wiring loom with indicator wires included. I've removed the semaphores and blanked off the holes in the B post. The switch now activates the relay which is under the bonnet.

The front lamps are not a problem, its the rears I cant decide about. Dont particularly want to fit the later rear light cluster, would rather keep the original brake/side light and add an indicator lamp. But which one? Not keen on drilling holes in the rear wings, maybe something mounted on the rear bumper apron.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Hold on. tomorrow I'll post a photo of what I've done. It involves using motorbike indicators mounted on the bumper iron and is neat and doesn't involve drilling holes in nice wings. :D
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
honda90
Minor Friendly

Post by honda90 »

My Series 2 has indicators off a mk1/2 golf with some homemade brackets to attach to the bumper bolts, there is a couple of pictures on my website of the car with them fitted. When I got the car the Semaphore's had been disabled I have now wired them up so they both work.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I, like you did not want to drill any extra holes or fit extra lights. I have blanked off the semaphores. The original front lights have been modified to incorporate a socket for a double filament bulb - 5w side light and 21w for the indicator, I also have the headlights with the side lights in. At the rear I have wired up a pair of relays which allow flashing of the brake light (plus a high level brake light in the rear window) It all seems to work ok and it still looks fairly original!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

It all seems to work ok and it still looks fairly original!
Flashing brake lights were used on Minors 1961 - 62. On post 62 cars this isn't allowed as the official rules require orange indicators.
On earlier cars I'm not 100% sure if this meets the rules but if you can say with certainty that this was the system used on a later version then you should be covered.

For the front, another option is to move the sidelights into the headlight (as per Mini) and then fit orange 21w bulbs into the clear sidelight. If you really want to hide any trace of orange for authenticity, you can get silver bulbs (that light up orange).

As for semaphores + orange flahers, you can use a SII dash mounted switch for the semaphores and a column mounted switch for the flashers.

Another alternative to drilling holes in the wings is to get period aftermarket indicators. These had a similar looking orange dome but were fitted with a festoon bulb and sit on top of the wing , not through it. They would normally be screwed on but can be mounted with sticky pads but also with a magnetic sheet! The difficulty is to hide the wiring but if you plan to remove them for shows then that's less of an issue. Personally I'd say bumper mounted indicators would be less trouble.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

rayofleamington wrote:Flashing brake lights were used on Minors 1961 - 62. On post 62 cars this isn't allowed as the official rules require orange indicators.
My mid-1963 Traveller has factory-fitted flashing brake lights. I've changed the front ones to the later indicator unit with a separate amber portion but haven't got around to adding separate indicators on the back.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

My mid-1963 Traveller has factory-fitted flashing brake lights.
I'm not exactly sure of the VIN numbers when this changed, but it was 'around the end of 62'... ;-)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I understood that to change from my semaphores to flashing brake lights was regarded as an upgrade or modernisation and was therefore an acceptable modification. Although I think they are a bit more visible than the semaphores I am very aware of what is behind whilst using them as I dont think you can beat a good orange flasher!
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-tq »

You'll probably find that flashing indicators of a certain wattage became mandatory around the early 1960s, although I bet their colour was not specified. Hence flashing the brake lights!
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

I used the later type indicator/sidelight on the front For the rear I mounted some lights under the bumper. they are made by rubbolite I got them from beaulieu autojumble they are intended for comercial vehicles, trailers etc so should be easy to come by Ive loaded a picture below of what ive done
I also have working trafficators on it as well

found the website for the lights i used http://www.truck-lite.eu.com/Catalogue/Products/50.htm