Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ttwlr
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Find the owner

Post by ttwlr »

Seen this posted on facebook
Can anybody help trace the owners of this lovely little car? It has been parked in Queensberry Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire for a couple of weeks. It is taxed and it is on a road with no parking restrictions, however some householder has complained that it has been dumped and the local council have given seven days for it to be moved or they will dispose of it!
It is not breaking any parking or highway regulations.
It is parked whereany people park ro walk to town for work and I wonder if it's owner had been taken ill. It looks well loved

Been posted on facebook any info I will pass on[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Re: Find the owner

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

Some local busy body causing trouble - the car is taxed and not on any lines so that's the problem. And what right do the council have to move this - is it a parked on a private street ? The council should have told the reporter to stop wasteing their time a get a new hobby.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

It could have suffered mechanical failure, though I'd have thought the owner would have been back to collect or fix it by now.
I am surprised they haven't visited the vehicle to check it's okay and seen the notice / removed it themselves, I wouldn't leave my car parked any distance from my home and not check on it at regular intervals these days.

I can't tell whether it's a '2' or a '3' in the date (12th or 13th) but that means the owner only has until Wednesday or Thursday to collect it, and then only seven days after that (19th or 20th) before the council dispose of it.
Which probably means they won't hang about incurring more storage charges and they'll crush it!
What a waste!! :(

As a post note: If the owner doesn't want it anymore I'd happily pop down to Salisbury and claim it!!
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ttwlr
Minor Friendly

Post by ttwlr »

They have put GFD and its GFO
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If anyone wanted it, don't see why they couldn't take it somewhere safe, to allow more time to find the owner with a view to finding out if they still wanted it.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

A thought: Would the council notify the Police, in case it had been stolen (and parked up while someone waits for any heat to die down......)??
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Maybe someone should do it on their behalf.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Quite extraordinary that a car which is taxed and legally parked can be regarded as "abandoned" by a council.....
Particularly a council who can't even record the registration number correctly :x
If they have contacted the police regarding the car, the fact that they have the wrong registration number means they won't get far - just as they won't get far trying to contact the registered keeper!

It would be interesting to see how they stand legally if they DO remove the vehicle.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Bit late for the owner either way if in thirteen days time they crush it! All because some busybody had to poke their nose to make themselves feel important!!

Checked on the DVLA vehicle inquiry site, GFO 376 is a white Morris and all up to date.
GFD 376, which is wrong as stated above, doesn't exist! Be nice if the local council employees were literate!
ttwlr
Minor Friendly

Post by ttwlr »

The owners now been contacted, he is away and his daughter was looking after it, oops, she has now been told

Thanks
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I guess FB does have it's uses :wink:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done all ! But 'up yours' to the Busybody who reported it.....and frankly also to the Council Jobsworths who took any notice !! And didn't simply contact the owner through DVLA....
ImageImage
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

We had a car parked outside our house for a few weeks without moving, never seen in the area before. I reported it to the police who found out it had been stolen and eventually re-united it with its owner. It was taxed etc etc. Good to know I'm a busybody now though :)
Glad to be back!
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

Good to see this has a nice ending.

My sister had her car reported as abandoned when it was left across the street from her house for a few weeks. The local council official visited the street, saw the car, contacted DVLA to get owner details, then hand delivered an 'abandoned vehicle notice' letter through my sister's door!!!! The word imbecile doesn't even come close to describing how stupid the council official is. :roll:

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Owned 663 KYC a 1961 Clipper Blue Morris Minor Tourer.
Propriétaire d'un 1988 Vert Bambou et Blanc Meije Citroën 2CV-Six Spécial.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

This sort of thing probably happens more frequently nowadays, particularly in towns, as many people seem not to know their neighbours and also many people live in accommodation where they have no driveway/parking area and often have to park some distance from their home.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Fair enough enquiring through the cops if a car is on the 'stolen' list... Other clues would be doors not locked/screwdriver in the ignition/broken window.... If it's a Classic and just parked/locked - well -keep an eye on it......surely....
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Its obvious whats gone on here. jobs worth ,traffic warden notes wrong reg number,so no record of owner or confirmation that its ins. taxed and tested ,via Police national computor, so on goes the ticket. Perhaps he/she did'nt have glasses on
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

But if parked in an unrestricted street a Parking Enforcement Officer (or whatever they are called in that neck of the woods would have no reason to make an observation on a legally parked car in an (apparently) unrestricted street.

It depends where you draw the "jobsworth" line. In my time as a "P.A." for various boroughs around London I have reported apparent stolen/abandoned (obviously insecure), Fraudulently displayed tax discs (not anymore) (The VED number was used as part of the evidence that the vehicle was actually seen at the area where the contravention occurred) and fraudulent use of the old Orange disabled badges (there is no disability that changes an frail looking elderly lady into an obese 20 something)

However I do now have a neighbour who insists on making life miserable for everyone locally with her tittle tattling - and doing her best to hide he identity as she does it. I caught her out and warned her I would be involving solicitors if she persisted, maybe even to a point of prosecuting her under the "anti social" laws.

This may be nothing more than a roving patrol by the council many of whom hate cars especially older ones. We have something like that here where staff report cars they think are abandoned. I had a sticker on one of my cars parked legally in off street residents parking noting it as a "wreck" the day after it passed an MOT. Its sad that common sense does not seem to be a requirement for such posts
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Just a note that this "abandoned car" was also placed in another thread
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58140
with more comments.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
alfrednewall

Post by alfrednewall »

Hello, I have recently bought this car - GFO 376 - and interested to see this thread on its recent history. I am now keen to find out a bit more, I know it was in the same hands for the last 25 years but nothing before this. I also believe that it has replacement plates, how could i find out what it was originally? I would also like to know the date of manufacture as my insurance company believe it to be 1956 with a 948 cc but reg doc has 1960 first registered.