Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
vee12jag
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Smiths Heater

Post by vee12jag »

Hi guys,
I am re-installing the Smiths round heater in my 56 Series 2. The new wiring harness does not have the wires built in to connect the heater to the car. I want to get the correct size of wiring. Can anyone please tell me what size of cable to get and where to connect to. I'm guessing one to the fuse box and the other to earth somewhere?? Is this correct? Does it matter which is which? Sorry but a sparky I am not!
Thanks
Mark
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Smiths Heater

Post by IslipMinor »

When fitted 'as standard' the supply to the heater is taken from the green wire feed to the fuel gauge - this from the A4 fuse connection.

Does your heater have just 2 wires? One that is already connected to the switch/rheostat and a 'black' earth wire? In that case, connect a wire (14/0.012" or 14/0.3mm), should be solid dark green colour, from the fuel gauge to the switch and the black to earth.

Otherwise, run a wire from the fuel gauge to the heater switch/rheostat, from the switch to the heater and from the heater to 'earth', i.e. the body.

You could also run a wire directly from the A4 terminal on the fuse box to the heater switch and then as above. Easier to start from the fuel gauge?
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Smiths Heater

Post by bmcecosse »

I'm not sure if these older heaters run 'backwards' when connected to a -ve earth car ?
ImageImage