Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

New 4 Door Saloon joins Traveller

Post by andy.pointeer »

We have purchased a 1962 4 door saloon, this will join my 1966 Traveller. The Saloon is for my wife to drive and as she has only drive automatic since 1980, she wants the Saloon converted to Automatic.
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
The Saloon has already had some changes and currently is configured as indicated below.
• 1275cc A+ engine
• 5 speed Type 9 gearbox
• Marina front suspension with Disks
• Marina back axle with 8” drum brakes and 3.9 diff
• Marina 175 wheels and tyres
• Conversion to two speed wipers with column controls
• Headlight dip/main beam controls moved to a combined indicator/horn column control
• Indicators converted from flashing side/brake lights to newer side/flasher on front and newer rear lights.

The planned changes to the Saloon and Traveller
We have acquired a Marina B Series 1800 with Automatic gearbox and brake pedal box from same car. The engine is missing the manifold and carburettor and was advised it had a single carburettor setup, these we need to find.
We will be attempting to fit this Marina Auto power unit into the Saloon.

The 1275 and 5 speed gearbox will come out of the Saloon and will replace the 1098 and 4 speed gearbox in the Traveller.

Not sure yet what order we will do things, as currently both cars are usable by me and I would like to have at least one available at all times.

These conversions will be covered/documented on the forum.

There will more than likely be a lot of question during the conversion work, especially on the Saloon, as this is not a normal conversion. A number of owners have undertaken similar work as that planned on the Traveller and hopefully we will not have too many problems with that work.

I welcome any comments on what is planned now and in future as the work progresses.
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: New 4 Door Saloon joins Traveller

Post by ManyMinors »

The 1.8 Marina engine is not only larger but a lot heavier. That I suspect will give you the most trouble.
Personally, if I needed a small automatic car, I'd simply go and buy one but good luck to you if you persevere and complete the conversion.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dalebrignall »

nice car andy
[sig]5641[/sig]
Tootall
Minor Friendly

Post by Tootall »

She looks lovely - those white Marina wheels look surprisingly good and I do like the white roof... Just needs a blue light on the top, to aid your wife's progress in traffic!

If and when you get around to doing the conversion, I also have a 1275-engined Minor but I am looking for a type 9 'box, bellhousing, clutch kit, propshaft etc etc etc... I'd be interested in taking the lot, at a sensible price...

Good luck with going the auto route.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I really wanted to get our '61 saloon converted to auto for the very same reason. My wife hates manual boxes. I came to the conclusion that it was feasible but ridiculously expensive. Good luck.