Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
MMOC Member: No

Squeek of Doom!

Post by MrA.Series »

Just finished doing and uber service and a general tidy of my Boris the night before last, but she's now developed a squeek. Not directly linked to any of the servicing as far a I an see either. It is from the engine itself, rather than the clutch, box or diff, etc.. due to it being in time with the rotations and apparent right from the turning of the key. Instead of it being one constant screech, like a loose fan belt style, it's a little "eek-eek-eek", which only goes away at times of high speeds (55mph+), or when the engine is under strain (excellerating away in 2nd, 3rd).

Anyone have a clue as to it's apparent cause? Seems to be coming from the rear left-hand side of the engine (when in the car - rear-right if you are looking at the engine from the bonnet being open).

It's stumped me.
Rob
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

Water pump? Dynamo?
I know you said it seems to be coming from the rear of the engine but noises can be tricky to locate.
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

So true. We had one on MOT one year. Someone thought it was the water pump, another the dynamo etc, etc. Turned out to be a broken crankshaft pulley (and yes, someone did have a spare :wink: )
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Distributor running dry ? For a quick check to eliminate others - pop the fan belt off and run it for couple of minutes.
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Just possibly exhaust leak - hihgh pressure air through small hole = whistle, sounds like squeek.
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

Checked theres no mice in the car, under the back seat? :) If its more of a weee-weee, it could be guinea pigs.

Barry, Miriam, Ellie, Maia and the Morris