Spare engine

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Spare engine

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi all
Can the engine from a 1947 Morris 8 SE be used as a spare engine for a 1953 MM 918 sidevalve are the block/ head/ ancillaries the same
Regards Ian

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Somewhat weaker and of lower power. The head is different in that the E head has a water elbow that goes straight up rather than at an angle to the radiator. Possibly there is a mismatch in the holes between the head and block either side of the hole for the distributor. The E hangs the dynamo off a bracket in the same manner as the MM and I think all else is the same except fot internal items. MM distributor has an assymetric profile unless you have an early MM one so it is likely to be a better bet. If you try to replace a late USHM3 engine (waterpump model) with a series E then you'll have a touch more agro since the heads and water bits will be all wrong.
Cardiff, UK
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Post by mike.perry »

I have seen what I believe to be a Morris 8 engine in an MM, (last nat. rally). The water passages around the distributor are different but the USHM2 head should fit. There is of course, no oil filter on the earlier engine. A better bet would be an ex W.D. engine.
[sig]3580[/sig]
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Spare engine

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi
The reason for my query is that after the head gasket blew on my engine and replacing the head gasket when I was torqueing down the head (to the sidevalve values before anyone asks ) one of the studs was pulling out of the block and I had to helicoil it i also noticed one other had been replaced with a stud with a larger thread on the head end and since driving I seem to have water coming up two of the studs around the top of the head nut and oil coming up two others so I was thinking that if I had a spare engine I could see if it was a canditate for reconditioning or using the block to replace engine I have now

Mike where can a W.D. engine be sourced and would it be one that a water pump can be fitted to, as mine has the cover where the pump can be fitted and what sort of price do they fetch

regards Ian

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Post by mike.perry »

Ex WD engines occasionally turn up. Bryan Gostling shipped a batch in some years ago. I bought mine from an ex military spares firm near Nottingham about 15 years ago. There is a write up on them on the website under Tech. Info.
Ref. engine threads, you are no doubt aware that they are metric threads.
It is a mystery to me why oil should find its way up a head stud since there are no oil passages above the block level. I have had the same problem.
[sig]3580[/sig]
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

SPARE ENGINE

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi mike
the answer is I think the oil and also water is going past the thread in the block up through the stud holes in the head and then squeezing up the stud between stud and head nut or exiting under head washer. I have seen the oil bubbling up under pressure on top of the head nuts.I have put silicone gasket down head bolts holes with nuts removed and refitted nuts and stopped oil/water leaking but am afraid may cause leak through head gasket .Then again I wait to be corrected by other more knowlegeable members
regards Ian