Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Vicky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

White Wall Tyres

Post by Vicky »

Hello all,

My mog Jenny is like a pheonix from ashes, having just survived yet another engine transplant! It's nice to get her back on the road again, but I have been thinking of doing a few cosmetic mods to zoop her up a bit. I really would love a set of white wall tyres - or at the very least the white rubber you stick to your ordinary tyres. I've seen a few mogs with them.

She is 1968 4 Door in Maroon, with standard moggie wheels and tyres. Can anyone suggest a place I can contact for whitewalls?

Thanks
bigjohn
Minor Addict

Post by bigjohn »

[sig]10306[/sig]
Vicky
Minor Friendly

Post by Vicky »

Yeah, I saw these, but was concerned about how to attach them to existing tyres - last thing I want is them falling off!
bigjohn
Minor Addict

Post by bigjohn »

you have the tyres taken off then you put the white wall on your tyre then the tyre back on ,the rim traps it and it doesnt come off
most of the white walls iv seen are these they are very good
[sig]10306[/sig]
Vicky
Minor Friendly

Post by Vicky »

Thanks for that - I'll show them to my dad (he'll be the one doing all the work). Hopefully these may be the solution - they're certainly not too dear. I'm also looking into getting the steering wheel sprayed white and hardened. So far I've had a quote for £125 - didn't think that was too bad. I've only ever seen one other moggie with a white steering wheel and it looked so cool!
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hi Vicky, welcome to the messageboard - mine's a '68 maroon too :D Here's a link showing a maroon car with a white steering wheel:

http://www.morrisminoroc.co.uk/index.ph ... ic&t=28447

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Vicky wrote:Thanks for that - I'll show them to my dad (he'll be the one doing all the work). Hopefully these may be the solution - they're certainly not too dear. I'm also looking into getting the steering wheel sprayed white and hardened. So far I've had a quote for £125 - didn't think that was too bad. I've only ever seen one other moggie with a white steering wheel and it looked so cool!
That seems a little high as Mota Lita refurb their steering wheels for less than that, I would contact the other poster to see how much they paid and where they went.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
h20_mako
Minor Fan

Post by h20_mako »

Here is mine. 125 quid is way high. If yours is in good condition, no need to harden just painting it will do :)<br>Image<br>

i have fitted mine with white wall inserts too. no worries it will not come off.
just needs lots of scrubbing and cleaning (i use dishwasher soap) to keep it white a MIceNOR.
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]
stuart_k
Minor Fan

Post by stuart_k »

beware the white wall flaps, they rub on the side wall and weaken the tyre. Several reports of them seriously wearing the tyre over a short period of time. Check the VW forums for more info.
Last edited by stuart_k on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h20_mako
Minor Fan

Post by h20_mako »

thank you Stuart for the heads up. Just apply some tire fitting oil between both and you should be fine. This also solve some rubbing noise between both that i have encountered when wheel is rolling.
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

These are the ones that go in behind the tyre edge, they were fitted when I bought the car and I thought they were wick, but Ive got used to them and now it would look funny without them!!!!<br>Image<br>

I have found cif cream the best thing to keep them clean :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
h20_mako
Minor Fan

Post by h20_mako »

YES!! I use CIF too.. :wink:
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]
Vicky
Minor Friendly

Post by Vicky »

h20 Mako - what type of paint did you use? Jenny is an everyday mog and I'm so worried that the paint would wear off - especially as I am married and wear rings. I must say, your steering wheel does look fantastic.

So do I need some kind of glue to stick the white walls on? How do I stop them flapping about? Thanks for the heads up on the wear though, I don't think my father will be too impressed!
h20_mako
Minor Fan

Post by h20_mako »

Steering Wheel
Hi Vicky. Thanks. I had mine professionally painted when i resprayed my car so it is not that expensive. It was black at first so what they did is the sand it and used what i thought could be a plastic primer paint (maybe its normal primer) Ann then painted over using Sikkens paint and lacquered. Lasted me for almost 6-7 years now and no cracking. Keep in mind i am not too sure if weather plays a part as we don't have 4 seasons here and temperature is around 24-36degreeC.

I too wear a ring on my index finger and did have a few light scratches that could be polish off. Only on an occasion when i had to swerve the car, the ring scratched it but in all not a problem.

Whitewall
No glue is needed. I have attached a picture for your understanding. It will not flap about also(i guess what Stuart mean is whitewall inserts/flaps). In order to reduce wear and probably squeaking sound, just oil area between tyres and whitewall inserts as shown

Cheers
<br>Image<br>
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]
Vicky
Minor Friendly

Post by Vicky »

Thanks h20 Mako I spoke to mota lita and they don't paint steering wheels, but I'll keep searching. Thanks for all your advice so far