Water Injection

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Water Injection

Post by alanworland »

Very misty/foggy here today and by jove the old Astra went well!
The difference on a damp day is really noticable - makes me think about fitting the wifes plant 'misting squirter' under the bonnet so I can have extra horse power on demand - and label it nitrous oxide!
ColinP
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Water Injection

Post by ColinP »

You'll get a noticable increase in power with fuel injection engines by using a water spray injector:-

The water spray cools the incoming air so that it becomes more dense, therefore you can cram a bit more into the cylinder before the valve closes. Hence more "bang".

The carburettor in the Minor does cool the air (bcause the petrol is being vapourised it cools the mixture), so it doesn't have the same effect.

IIRC methanol injection has also been used (I guess a similar cooling effect), though these options tend to reduce the service life of the engine.

On a Minor, you should be able to get a similar effect by separating the inlet manifold from the exhaust (removing the "hot spot"), and pointing the air intake away from the exhaust manifold - or use a "pancake filter".

Colin
Ratbag

Post by Ratbag »

ColinP wrote:
On a Minor, you should be able to get a similar effect by separating the inlet manifold from the exhaust (removing the "hot spot"), and pointing the air intake away from the exhaust manifold - or use a "pancake filter".

Colin
.... and then having the carb ice up!
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Mine didn't ice up during the snowy time! Ran a treat, though I have had to remove the fan and blank half the radiator off to get the engine to a decent running temperature- maybe the lack of fan helps offset the tendency to ice up?