Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ben93
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Headlight and indicator help

Post by Ben93 »

Hi all, I am putting the car back together and am having trouble with my indicators and my headlights. My indicators worked and my headlights didn't now I have managed to get the headlights to work but the near side headlight is very dim and the indicators have stopped working. I thought it might be an earthing problem and made sure that the lights were well earthed but still have one dim light, indicators still don't work. Anyone have any ideas I just want to get driving and on the road now PLEASE HELP D:
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Headlight and indicator help

Post by mike.perry »

Check the flasher unit by removing the two wires, not the light green one, and connecting them together. Indicate and the two bulbs on whichever side you are indicating should light but not flash. If they do this then the flasher is faulty. If they still do not light then it is a wiring problem.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The dim headlight IS due to poor earthing - OR wrongly connected wires at the headlight ? Have these wires been disturbed ?
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Check all the bullet connectors. You can clean the bullets but the sleeves rust inside and your best option is to renew them.
I renewed every sleeve on my MGB and it really improved the reliability of the electrics.
These people are good for wiring parts
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... mepage.php
but halfords and other motor factors will also be able to help.

Ben93
Minor Friendly

Post by Ben93 »

Thanks all, the headlights are working fine now turned out to be both corroded connectors and bad earthing. They indicators still won't work, the sidelights come on when I turn the lights on but absolutely nothing happens when I use the indicators :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Look for power at the flasher unit! If it's there - join the two wires together and see if the indicators now work - obviously they won't flash...........
ImageImage
Ben93
Minor Friendly

Post by Ben93 »

still no luck with the indicators, even without the flasher unit it still does nothing, keep fidiling with it but still no joy. they worked fine before it went for the respray and for some reason they messed about with the steering columb :( and since then they haven't worked.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Check that the green wire goes to the flasher B (or X) terminal and is live when the ignition is on. Check with a test light.
The green/brown wire should go to the L terminal and if you connect it directly to the green wire and indicate L or R the corresponding indicators should light. If not then you have a fault at the switch.
The light green connects to the P terminal and should light the warning light.
[sig]3580[/sig]