Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dellerie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

electric fans

Post by dellerie »

i'll be fitting one in due course. which is the best to buy? what sort of size would i need? and what about the thermo control?

i guess i'll need a pushing fan if i fit it between the grille and rad. anyone have any pictures?

good stuff
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Re: electric fans

Post by Neil MG »

Why are you thinking of fitting an electric fan?
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

I've no minor-specific knowledge, but if you don't want to go to the expense of a new fan, anything second hand from a vehicle with a similarly sized engine (or bigger) should do the job. My V8 Defender has 3 fans, 2 on a stat (the type with a black adjustment knob on a control box and a capillary you stick in the top radiator hose, e.g: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thermal-Switch-Th ... 2036wt_903 ), and one 'emergency' manually switched fan. fans are about 10" each and come on infrequently even when driving around at 5-10mph and climbing 45deg slopes all day, only used the emergency once in extremely hot weather.
So in short, a road vehicle should need 1 tops, but I suggest the biggest you can fit in to be sure / minimize running time.
If you don't mind having a fixed temperature thermostat, and want to minimize unsightly wiring and relays, I suggest something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THERMOSTAT-KIT-EL ... 1044wt_903

I'm a fan of fitting them, they seem to be marmite to most, you've got the 'save you loads of petrol, give you more power' bunch, and the 'waste of money, less reliable' bunch.
In reality, you probably won't notice the difference in either power or fuel bills, unless you go everywhere at 5000rpm, but just from the fact that they are fixed blade, not even viscous couplings, they must waste a lot of energy... and they certainly make a bloody racket! My 1098 had 48bhp new. If you subtract 1hp per year, I've now got 7... I'll notice all the difference when I get that 1/2hp back from fitting an electric fan!
When you're doing much over 10mph the engine fan is pure wasted energy, which unless you live in central London, is most of the time. Electric fans will only come on in traffic, so they get my vote any time.

don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Hi dellerie

Size is the big issue for fitting between the grill and the radiator. Nearly all fans are too thick (front to back). Many 10" fans won't fit because they are too tall.

The Minor radiator is so big relative to the motor, an 8" fan will do the job easily.

I have spent ages wandering around dismantlers yards looking for suitable types. The ones you have available in the UK will be different to those we have in Oz, so their isn't much point in me listing the ones we have that are worth considering.

Many people who fit them to Minors over here simply have a switch on the dash to turn them on when in heavy traffic, rather than going to the trouble and expense to have them thermostat operated.

Cheers
Don
TomLS
Minor Fan

Post by TomLS »

Good info Don. Do you know if a 9" fan would fit? Many 9" and 10" fans are available, but the 8" ones are not so easy to find here (well, cheaply on ebay any way :) )

phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

you really shouldnt need a fan as the engines dont get that hot anyway! if you are overheating id look at the existing cooling system for problems before trying an electric fan.
dellerie
Minor Fan

Post by dellerie »

thanks for the replies gents. on/off switch seems to be a good shout. i already have a temp gauge fitted so could 'switch on' when needed in wonderful london traffic.

fantastic.
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i've fitted a 9 inch kenlowe kit on mine, between the rad and the engine, it only fits because i haven't got the fan blades on the water pump anymore.

it uses a temp sensor that, rather oddly, pushes into the radiator core itself, and relies on conduction for its temp reading. the wiring diagram it came with gave the option of a manual override switch, which i took advantage of and fitted a switch on the dash. so the fan will come on automatically, but if the temp starts to climb and i get worried, i can switch it on myself too.

i also wired it so that the fan earths through the 'change oil filter' light on the dash, so i have a visual check as to whether the fan is on or not.
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

oh and it warms up really quick in winter :D
penny

Post by penny »

I have a 1275 Marina engine and am thinking of removing the blade and fitting an electric fan. Have a second hand unit from a large engine metro, 2litr ? which is 10inch and pulls as fitted to inside alongside engine.

Has any one fitted one into the Minor engine bay, and how was it done. As the motor is more that 100mm front to back, how did you resolve the problem of the bottom hose being in the way.

Look forward to any help referance this. Jenny
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

Probably hard to find now but a nissan sunny unit fits nicely and retains the shrouding as well.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

We have a 9" Spal fan fitted in front of the radiator - it is 50mm thick so fits very snugly (you can see the 'label' behind the grille in the picture below). It is it controlled by a thermo switch fitted into a boss soldered into the top radiator tank. Switches in around 85/90°C and off at around 80°C. Thermostat is 82°C.

With a 1380 Midget engine and no fan blades on the water pump, the whole radiator/fan assembly can be eased in and out carefully after disconnecting the fan wire connections.

Comes on in two situations - obviously in slow/stationary traffic and also, because the supply is fused 'permanently on', in warmer weather when the engine is switched off after use.

Seems to cope with anything experienced so far - we were on the M25 by Heathrow the day that the temperature reached 100°F for the first time in the UK. Lots of 'moderns' on the hard shoulder, but the Minor kept its cool with no problems at all!

We do keep a spare standard metal fan blade in the boot. just in case something fails! Haven't needed it since the car was restored 15+ years ago, thank goodness, as I tried it once just to see and the fan noise was horrendous.
Last edited by IslipMinor on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I run my car without the fan most of the year round - only fitting it if hot weather appears. Can't say I notice any noise difference fan on/fan off. I did buy an electric fan a while back, but haven't got round to fitting it so far....one of these days....
ImageImage