Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morrisbetsy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

CLUTCH KIT - WILL THIS FIT?

Post by morrisbetsy »

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=1680

i need to buy a clutch kit for my 1971 morris 1000 saloon 2 door - is the above llink the correct kit or do any members know of a better kit?? mechanic calling thursday so need to purchase urgently to ensure its delivered in time!
advice greatly apprecated

link works fine?
mechanic carrying out repair not myself- previously posted for recommended mechanics with NO REPLIES so had to go with one from phone book!!
Have contacted company and confirmed whats required.
Unhappy with level of support from this forum.
Last edited by morrisbetsy on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: CLUTCH KIT - WILL THIS FIT?

Post by mike.perry »

Assuming that you have the original engine and gearbox then you need a clutch assembly for a 1098 Minor. Generally the pressure plate does not wear out so you only need the drive plate and thrust bearing unless you want to spend extra money.
I hope that you can trust the mechanic not to rip you off. You can save time (and money) by removing the front seats and carpets and unscrewing the gearbox cover floor panel.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Bull motif links don't work (dunno why?). But as above _ would just buy a plate and a carbon thrust - there will be howls of anguish from others - but the pressure plate can survive several clutch plates. And - I would pull the engine rather than struggle with the gearbox. You don't even need to lift it ou of the engine bay - just remove the rad, pull it forwards on a trolley jack (or pile of timber) and twist it sideways - swap the plate and the carbon - twist it back round and slide it back on the gearbox - simples!
ImageImage
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

mike.perry wrote:Assuming that you have the original engine and gearbox then you need a clutch assembly for a 1098 Minor. Generally the pressure plate does not wear out so you only need the drive plate and thrust bearing unless you want to spend extra money.
I hope that you can trust the mechanic not to rip you off. You can save time (and money) by removing the front seats and carpets and unscrewing the gearbox cover floor panel.
Mike,
You don't have to remove the seats or the gearbox cover when removing the gearbox. When I fitted the OB crankshaft seal and new clutch at the same time I didn't remove any seats or cover. I did have access to a pit.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I find that for the sake of four bolts per seat, it is easy to remove them and give youself a lot of extra room. It also stops them getting greasy, an important consideration when you have sacrificed a cow to have them re covered.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The point is - to NOT remove the floor cover, or the seats! It can be done from below - but it is SO much easier to just slide the engine forward.........
ImageImage