Problem with clutch/gearbox noise HELP!!

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ben93
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Problem with clutch/gearbox noise HELP!!

Post by Ben93 »

Took the car out on it's first big run today 200 miles! I have been having this trouble where every now and again the car would make this sort of grinding/buzzing noise when I selected first gear when I'm stationary, well today not only did the problem happen much more often nearly every time I put my foot down on the clutch and went into 1st it then spread into 3rd and the reverse gear when I was popping the car back into the garage. Had my grandfather in the car at the time who said it could be the thrust bearing??? But he wasn't sure and when I said about doing something about it he said I should just keep going until I break down something I don't want to do. Please help. The noise normally occurs when I select 1st gear as soon as I move off it goes away .
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: Problem with clutch/gearbox noise HELP!!

Post by chrisryder »

from what i can make out, it could well be the little bush that sits in the end of the crankshaft that supports the first motion shaft of the gearbox (not sure how much lingo you'll understand) and that the bush is wearing out, or has come loose in the crankshaft.

one of our minors has a funny buzzing/grinding noise similar to that which you describe. once the clutch pedal is fully up the noise would go away as the crank shaft and first motion shaft are rotating at the same speed, but with the clutch depressed, and as you bring it up, they are at different speeds and will make a noise.

it may be that, but then again possibly not. you would have to remove the gearbox and clutch assembly to get to that bush. but it could well be worth removing the clutch and replacing any worn parts (like the thrust bearing) that could also be causing problems.

i dont know how bad it would be, our minor that's doing it has been doing it for years. one of those jobs we keeping meaning to get around to!
Ben93
Minor Friendly

Post by Ben93 »

Do you mean the drive gear bush (what I found matching that description in the manual) and if that is it then is it easy to get to? If I took out the gearbox would I be able to get to it? Thinking of getting the part and doing it tomorrow if not?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Adjust the clutch so there is just about 1" of 'free play' at the pedal- and try again. 1st and reverse gears are straight cut and have no syncromesh - better to select 2nd gear, and then push forward into 1st gear. I doubt there is anything seriously wrong - but always worth checking the oil level in the gearbox.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Ben93
Minor Friendly

Post by Ben93 »

Ok thanks. I can't see it being the oil level as it was only topped up a few weeks ago but I will check anyway. I will adjust it and see how it goes I have more than an inch of play in the peddle so that could be it. Many thanks
Ben93
Minor Friendly

Post by Ben93 »

Adjusted the clutch peddle today and it has made it worse, It now makes a noise when the clutch peddle is depressed then the old noise when biting then another noise when moving? May take it down to the garage tomorrow and let them have a listen to it and see what they think it is
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Did you adjust to 1" free play at the pedal? May be indeed that the clutch thrust is worn out - in which case - pull the engine forward - much easier than dropping the gearbox.........
ImageImage