Horn not working and faulty wipers and heater?

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Horn not working and faulty wipers and heater?

Post by wheelynutz »

Right i have a slight issue.
I put an mountney style steering wheel (astrali) on the mog but for the horn button i had to remove the clear plastic bit from the standard horn, so i did and the horn was working fine, but when the bit that the horn button is based into goes a bit to far in the wheel it created an earth and made the horn stick on. So i changed back to the original wheel but when trying to put the plastic bit back on i pushed the wire into the steering column slightly, so took the wheel off and managed to get it back out and put everything back together. But now the horn doesn't work? I don't know if i pulled the wire out a little too hard and might have pulled the connection for the horn off inside the column or how ever it works, but i took it all apart and touched the wire onto the metal inside on the steering wheel to make the circuit for the horn to work but it is just dead. But also now the wipers don't work or the switch on the bottom of the heater to turn the heater on? But when the car warms up the wipers start working again and the switch for the heater works so the heater turns on, but the horn still doesn't?
I think it is a power issue and i can only think it would be a fuse but i don't think there is a fuse for them and it is direct power. I am going to test if there is any power going to horn wire on wednesday (due to college being closed due the strike), with my multimeter and give it some power with my test probe.
But i was wondering what could it be? I'm baffled of why the wipes and heater only turn on when the car warms up?
And thank you for reading this essay :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Horn not working and faulty wipers and heater?

Post by bmcecosse »

There are two fuses - one for Ign controlled items (so wiper and heater etc ) and the other for Non-Ign items ie horn and interior light. Check the fuses and the little clips that hold them - wiggle them about and spray with a little WD 40, and obviously renew any that have blown....
ImageImage
wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

I've checked those fuses and they are fine and not blown. i have also cleaned the fuses and terminals up with a bit of emery cloth but i will spray some wd on them as well.
Also because my moggie is a late one i also have the inline fuse but that was fine as well but i cleaned that up anyway.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Be careful with those glass fuses. I have had some corrode internally and they look okay and test okay with a meter but break down with a load. Buy some new ones.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The inline fuse only protects the sidelight circuit.
Disconnect the purple/black (earth) wire from the horn and replace it with a wire connected straight to the body. If the horn works the supply is ok, Reconnect the original wire and there should be a connector near the horn push, check that.
The wipers and heater are both fed from a terminal on the voltage stabiliser on the back of the speedo. Check the connections.
[sig]3580[/sig]