Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stephh
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

A burnt out moggy

Post by stephh »

One of our Huddersfield young members has had the worst thing happen...

Last night she was woken up by the police to find her car had been wheeled away and burnt out by vandals, only witnessed by dummy CCTV cameras. As you can see, its a bit of state!

It was a birthday present from her husband 6 months ago and she is absolutely devastated about the loss. Is there anyone who has completed a resto on a burnt out Moggy or who can offer something in the way of help (aren't we cheeky!) in helping to get this gorgeous car back on the road?

The owner Holly is a student and so she is short of money...but I thought I'd share this on here and I'd hate to see a good car end up in a scrapyard for the want of a few parts.

What does everyone think?[frame]Image[/frame]
Owner of Martha and Nancy - both ex-gov disabled blue MMs and Bee, a 1960 4 door in smoke grey.
MMOCYM forever. Join us. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/MMOCYM/

PS. I blog sometimes www.idriveaclassic.com
Dean
Minor Legend

Re: A burnt out moggy

Post by Dean »

stephh wrote: Last night she was woken up by the police to find her car had been wheeled away and burnt out by vandals,
Change the word Vandals to "Low life Scum".

Sorry to read about this. I guess the first thing to do is make sure the heat didn't distort and twist the shell. Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to begin!
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

andrew.searston
Minor Addict

Post by andrew.searston »

where would you start :( how would you go about fire damaged metal. someone will come along with the answer
must be saved somehow
[sig]9671[/sig]
stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

I got my car totally wrecked by vandals not too far from this, sadly.

This is what happens when people don't fear the law or respect others. So, so sad. x
Owner of Martha and Nancy - both ex-gov disabled blue MMs and Bee, a 1960 4 door in smoke grey.

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Change the word Vandals to "Low life Scum".
Seconded.

Pointless to expect them to be caught but you can't help hoping that what they do unto others may be meeted out to them in the fullness of time.

I can only express my sincerest sympathy. I hope the insurance company pays up without any problems.

Good luck and best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Bad show. I guess the heat will have caused too much distortion for an economic resto. Hopefully the insurance money will buy a replacement - better find a secure place to keep it!
ImageImage
stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

bmcecosse wrote:Bad show. I guess the heat will have caused too much distortion for an economic resto. Hopefully the insurance money will buy a replacement - better find a secure place to keep it!
It doesn't look to bad to be honest...

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Its a very horrible thing to do to another person, feels very close to home somehow...
Britain nowadays :roll:
I wish her the best of luck in getting back behind the wheel of a minor.
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Let's hope the insurance company will pay out, as it is fire and theft I am sure if they decide to get it restored there are people on the forum and in the club who will help with spares, interior fitting and stuff, please keep us all posted so we can help out, I am sure I have some bits I could post to them!
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

chesney wrote:Its a very horrible thing to do to another person, feels very close to home somehow...
Britain nowadays :roll:
I wish her the best of luck in getting back behind the wheel of a minor.
Chesney, where in Leeds you from?! I know...we're way too close to this :( xx

chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

I am in Rawdon area, down the road from Leeds Bradford Airport.
stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

chesney wrote:I am in Rawdon area, down the road from Leeds Bradford Airport.
Not too far away then! In a 2 mile radius of my house, I can pinpoint 5 :)

chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Maybe I should just get out more :roll: :lol: Don't end up in Burley area too often but if you see a black 2 door with a ratty front bumper and a rattier interior then its probably me :wink:
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

What an awful thing to happen :(

I don't think any solution involving this car will be cheap :(

The fire (from personal experience) will have destroyed a lot of parts that will soon add up in cost even if bought second-hand.

If the shell was a good one, rust-free and solid and isn't structurally damaged by the fire, it might be worth getting hold of a free or cheap terminally rusty second car and transferring everything from the rust-heap to this shell. Depends if there are friends and family with time and experience to put in the hours. That would help keep costs down as would selling off any duplicated usable spares from the second car.

Sorry not to be able to offer anything more positive.
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

If it is insured on a "Classics" policy, there may be a Retention of Salvage clause. They vary a great deal: RH will pay out for a write-off in the normal way, then GIVE you the remains of your car; others offer to sell it you; the worst (e.g. Heritage) have weasel words amounting to "we may let you buy it".

The point is that even if the owner has neither the skill nor the inclination to rebuild it or pay for its repair, the car may be hers to dispose of as she wishes, for example by selling it to someone here or through eBay. But it may be too late. The police and council may have pressed for the car to be moved, and the easiest way to do that is to let the insurer take it to their compound at a scrappy.

Much of this may apply to the other Moggy destroyed recently, which we're not allowed to discuss.

A word of warning to anyone handling burned-out cars: some modern plastics produce hydrofluoric acid when heated, and that is a truly evil substance - look it up.

Kevin
tomas.geoghegan
Minor Fan

Post by tomas.geoghegan »

Yes Very Very Sad . we know how atached we get to ower Moggs.
unfortunately this car is obviously a complete write off.
Hope insurance pays up As has been said.
Basta--s I"l string um up!
Best Regards Tomas

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Much of this may apply to the other Moggy destroyed recently, which we're not allowed to discuss.
What other Moggie? (and why are we not allowed to discuss it??) Is there more of this going on?
Regards,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

my heart goes to the owner its a terriable thing to happen a moggy is more than a car its part of you .hope that did not sound too silly but you know what i mean.im sure the insurance will pay up and good luck with your new car hunt ,and i hope who did this gets punished by the correct authorities .
[sig]5641[/sig]
C6Dave
Minor Fan

Post by C6Dave »

jagnut66 wrote:
What other Moggie? (and why are we not allowed to discuss it??) Is there more of this going on?
Regards,
Mike.
M20 crash and the owner asked for the thread to be closed due to potential legal action which is a wise and sensible move
dantournay
Minor Friendly

Post by dantournay »

This is terrible. Very sad and sorry to see what's happened to your car. Hopefully it wont be too long before you're back on the road.