Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mal c
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

How do you use yours?

Post by mal c »

Chatting with a colleague today and mentioned I was thinking of getting a Traveller for every day use. He sniffed a bit and said " only good for shows". I disagreed but made me wonder how many owners use for daily transport and not just for shows in the summer.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Re: How do you use yours?

Post by POMMReg »

No, Minor's cannot be used on a daily basis after 31/12/99.
From 1/1/00 the EU deemed the brakes inneffective + the engine too underpowered!

EU ruling 542c (subsection 5d) reads; The Morris Minor should only be driven to & from vintage vehicle rallies.

Ruling 547c (subsection 47g)
Maximum speed for these vehicles is 30mph.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i use mine every day a 2 door saloon
i do on average 15000 miles a year general driving including bombing up the motor way twice a week
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

POMMReg wrote:No, Minor's cannot be used on a daily basis after 31/12/99.
From 1/1/00 the EU deemed the brakes inneffective + the engine too underpowered!

EU ruling 542c (subsection 5d) reads; The Morris Minor should only be driven to & from vintage vehicle rallies.

What??? This is obviously made up, please dont actually believe it.

I only use Audrey, my 1955 split screen on nice days. I dont like to get her wet, and driving in winter with salt on the roads is a no no.
This is because she is immaculate condition, and I would like her to be with me for the next 50 odd years and more. With salt on the roads in winter, an old car like the minor will rust, as it hasnt the special coatings that modern cars have. Saying that, every panel that will rust, mainly under the caar, can be replaced.

I don intend though to buy another minor, and use that as my working car, so I'll use this one in winter if I get one. Audrey will remain in the garage though, as she is too special to me to have the risk of getting ruined.
mal c
Minor Friendly

Post by mal c »

POMMReg wrote:No, Minor's cannot be used on a daily basis after 31/12/99.

Every forum has one!!! sad sad person.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

No, Minor's cannot be used on a daily basis after 31/12/99.

Come and get me then!! :lol:

I'm sure there are some sad gits in the EU and even our own political parties who would like this to be true (of all classics) but fortunately I don't believe the killjoys have got their way......... yet......... :evil:

...... and if they do I refer to my original response! 8)

Anyway, to the original question, I use mine everyday, mind you I do maintain it myself. You'll have to keep all your nipples greased (behave yourself! :lol: )/ change oil / filters regularly, check wheel bearings etc.......
But it isn't a really chore and doesn't take that long. (Mind you I do enjoy fiddling / fettling and tinkering... :lol:)
You will also need to under-seal underneath and spray lots of wax-oil into the cavities (this also needs redoing once in a while to keep up the protection) to protect her from the aforementioned road salt / water ingress.

However, despite the above, I wouldn't revert back to a boring modern given the choice, much rather be driving my moggie! :D
Best wishes,
Mike.

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jmcar
Minor Friendly

Post by jmcar »

My Traveller is used every day to work and back. I've modified it to my liking but that's just me, so long as you keep on top of the routine maintenance it's fairly hassle free motoring - would thoroughly recommend it :)
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Two Travellers used daily by wife and me. Commuting, all social stuff, long distance holidays. Kept outside. No problems. In the bad winter (10-11) people at work commented that ours seemed to be the only car that always started and always got there. We do not have a modern. Go for it :D
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

^^^ I'm with him, just don't get a concours job and expect it to stay like that with daily use. An honest, frayed around the edges example will serve you brilliantly well, and you won't cry your heart out if you get a stone chip or door knock in a car park. A better set of brakes would keep the adrenalin levels down a bit, though...... :D

Apparently EU directive 542c was retracted after the final ratified draft of it, rolled up, was inserted into Dr Helmet Szpinctles sphincter and subsequently found it could not be retracted :o
mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Yep, use mine nearly every day! I suppose about 10-12 thousand miles a year, I have to admit, that since it was written off 2 years ago and repaired, I do not use him as much when it is really wet and salty on the roads! But I did do for the last 11 years, my only car, no choice! :D
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

I do 50 miles a day to and from the Bonmarche head office (wave if you see me!)

Theres two Morris' in our car park and a Moggy owner in the payroll dept. They're everywhere :wink:
Owner of Martha and Nancy - both ex-gov disabled blue MMs and Bee, a 1960 4 door in smoke grey.
MMOCYM forever. Join us. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/MMOCYM/

PS. I blog sometimes www.idriveaclassic.com
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Where are all these morries in Leeds then? I've only ever seen 2 others, and mine is used daily too (1000 a month :D )1 was a van, got a wave back, one was a traveller, no wave back :(
stephh
Minor Friendly

Post by stephh »

chesney wrote:Where are all these morries in Leeds then? I've only ever seen 2 others, and mine is used daily too (1000 a month :D )1 was a van, got a wave back, one was a traveller, no wave back :(
Chesney, where do you live? Im in Burley. :)
Owner of Martha and Nancy - both ex-gov disabled blue MMs and Bee, a 1960 4 door in smoke grey.
MMOCYM forever. Join us. https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/groups/MMOCYM/

PS. I blog sometimes www.idriveaclassic.com
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Answered elsewhere :wink:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

visit the website.

www.nothingbettertodothanmakedaftrules.gov.uk

Jean Claude Clipboard
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

I use mine nearly every day to stop my spanners getting dusty! :D

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

stephh wrote:
chesney wrote:Where are all these morries in Leeds then? I've only ever seen 2 others, and mine is used daily too (1000 a month :D )1 was a van, got a wave back, one was a traveller, no wave back :(
Chesney, where do you live? Im in Burley. :)
Im in Farsley, wave if you see me :)
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Keep that union jack on, I won't miss you ;)
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

Pommreg don't believe everything you read on the big wide web, if it were true then don't you think there would be restictions on insurance, or don't you think the national club might have informed us or BHVA. Our 54 splity is out and about at least twice during the week and at most shows on the weekend. Don't be so daft POMMREG.

Maybe is this for the Pre War Minor one thinks.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Did anyone take my posts seriously?

I'm shocked!!