Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Edward92
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wheel studs for wide wheels

Post by Edward92 »

Hi,

I need longer wheel studs & a set of locking nuts, can anyone point me in the right direction please?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Wheel studs for wide wheels

Post by bmcecosse »

Why longer studs ? Most wide wheels just use the standard studs. They are obtainable from all the usual Mini suppliers (Minispares/Minisport/DSN etc) - in various lengths. Try them too for locking nuts - but some have reported being sent nuts with the wrong thread...........
ImageImage
Edward92
Minor Friendly

Post by Edward92 »

If you look the nut doesn't go on fully anymore, I will have a look at minisport then,

Thanks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hard to make out - what wheels are those ? Are they 4" PCD ????????????? Alloy wheels almost always use special sleeve nuts that fit inside the stud holes in the wheel.
ImageImage
Edward92
Minor Friendly

Post by Edward92 »

They're alleycats from a mini, do you think i should get some locking nuts and try with those first?
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I had to fit longer studs for my alloys. I had more thread on show than you, but not enough to get all the way through even a standard minor wheelnut. Elected to buy some longer studs for the rear (which are available from many minor suppliers) and then fitted the rear studs on the front (as the rears are longer than the front to get through the thickness of the halfshaft flange).

You can ofcourse, fit new long studs front and back, which might be a good idea for you, as the rear studs are only a few mm longer than the front.

Do be careful though, the longer studs don't have thread as far down them, so if you come to fit a standard minor wheel back on, the nuts may run out of thread before clamping on the wheel. An easy thing to overlook, and not notice until you get a flat and have to fit the spare!

Could be worth investing in some spacers to keep with the spare wheel in case of emergency.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

You can get the spacers from Halfords - we did for Jon's car.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

My problem with wide wheels on my traveller was the different hole chamfer so that the standard nuts would not tighten correctly. I found that a set of 11/16 a/f head trailer wheel nuts did the job
Last edited by mike.perry on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Mini wheel nuts have a slightly different taper to Minor nuts.......therefore you should use Mini nuts with Mini wheels.
ImageImage