Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Edward92
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Mini alternator

Post by Edward92 »

I'm sure i read something before of someone putting a mini alternator on their Minor but I couldn't find it on here, other than obviously the alternator what would I need to find the mini alternator onto my car?

Edward
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: Mini alternator

Post by chrisryder »

All of the minor suppliers will do an alternator conversion kit. And you can probably get them without the alternator if you've already got one (or want to pick up a cheaper 2nd hand one). Key things are a different rear bracket (long, as the alternator is shorter), a bit of wiring loom to put into your existing wiring, and quite possibly a new fanbelt too. The best thing is, if you buy a kit, it will come with instructions!

The car will need to be negative earth to run an alternator, so you will need to convert if it's not already.
Edward92
Minor Friendly

Post by Edward92 »

Couldn't see an alternator conversion that doesn't come without the alternator itself, does it just need the adjuster and mounting brackets and obviously the belt?

Thanks
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

and the loom. Companies may not list the kit parts individually, but could be willing to sell the bits separately.
Edward92
Minor Friendly

Post by Edward92 »

£30 for all the bits :( Almost might as well just buy the full conversion kit lol

Thanks,

Edward
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Get the alternator from a scrappy - bracket from A series Mini engine (or easy enough to make one up). The wiring is very simple - yes you may need a new shorter fan belt (825) - and the instructions are on this forum! First move - get hold of an alternator....or two.
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

tom roy do a bracket,and wiring harness ,if you find an alternator,MGB ones also fit(Don't ask how I know this).
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Vauxhall Cavalier ones will fit with a bit of ingenuity, too!!
If you are not too much a purist, get,as our Scots sage says, a secondhand Mini one(bear in mind that a new one is stupidly cheap, though!). If you can't get the correct mounting bracket, use your old one, with a long M8 bolt/nut and a selection of M10 nuts as packing spacers(this is the really cheap end of the scale!!). Most important is to make sure the pulley is close(ish) to in line with the existing driveline. Again, the odd washer as packing here and there will sort that out. Wire the two big terminals on the alternator to thebattery side of the starter solenoid-they are duplexed to carry more current than one terminal. The little terminal connects to the ignition warning light, on the "negative" side of it, ie: the other side of the bulb goes via the ignition switch to +12volts. 99.9% of people seem to need this connection via the bulb to "excite" the alternator and make it charge (doesn't excite me much, though).
The other 0.1% of people may also tend to never have ignition coil problems :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:lol: To confirm that - last week-end after the back firing incidents, I noticed no red light on switch on - yet the alternator was charging perfectly, balancing any load that was asked of it. The wee wire had pulled off the alternator, presumably as the engine rocked about during the backfires........
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Sorry, thats another nail in my coffin then! Ps: Its scary but true about the vest and y-fronts, maybe we are both being stalked??[frame]Image[/frame]
Edward92
Minor Friendly

Post by Edward92 »

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Neither of these is any use to you.......
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I repeat tom roys sells the brackets and wiring harness.