Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

engine stalling to a halt

Post by NicholEvans »

I have had a problem lately with the engine stuttering a bit and coming to a halt when driving, it happens about 3 time in an average 20 mile journey. i have had a look at the contact point in the fuel pump and they seem to be fine and i have swapped over the coil because it had seen much better days and was corroded on the inside and out. i saw on this website that someone found that their coil was overheating so i thought i would see how this would change my car. could anyone give me any other ideas as to what it would be? the car does start back up again after about a 5 minute wait and i can continue driving. would it possibly be the head gasket or would that mean out and out failure and no drive at all? a mechanic did tell me that the engine was pinking a bit once but another mechanic told me it wasnt at all so im not sure what to believe! any help would be great!
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly

Re: engine stalling to a halt

Post by NicholEvans »

also, i havent tried the coil yet, i fitted the part today so i am yet to see if it has cured the problem.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The others are waiting for this....... It's 'NEVER' the coil............ :D It can be the coil connections, so clean them up - but more likely is badly adjusted points and/or part failed condenser. I would fit new points and condenser. It 'could' be a vacuum forming in the petrol tank - so next time it happens - pull the tank cap off listening for an inrush of air as you do so.
ImageImage
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly

Post by NicholEvans »

ok. well i know this now because the changing of the coil didnt help, it started up and ran nicely but i pulled away and then it just stoppeed and wouldnt start. i saw on a thread before that you claimed buying a new petrol pump or points was a waste of money and thet you should just clean them up with wet and dry sand paper? i will have a look at the conntections but they all seem to be sound anyway.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

The fuel pump points may look OK but is the pump operating properly?
Next time the car stops give the pump a tap on the metal body with a largish spanner and the ignition turned on, if there is a sudden burst of clicking from it then it's as guilty as hell!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

People forget that the fuel pump does indeed need maintaining - draw coarse notepaper between the points held lightly together to clean up any pitting. Depending when this was last done a new set of points might be on the cards.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

is it a relatively new fuel pump?
There has been a bad batch.
If not, then of course all of the above comments apply.
Where angels fear to tread
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly

Post by NicholEvans »

the fuel pump does make a ticking noise sometimes that i can hear in the car when i turn the ignition on, is this the bad thing you're talking about? it is fast at first and then slows and dies down?
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

That's the noise of it pumping, a tick or two are normal in the morning when you turn the ignition on.
Once the engine is running there should be further ticks depending how much petrol is needed.
If it stops pumping you get the symptoms you are having.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's like a heart - beating is good, the problem is when it stops........
ImageImage
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly

Post by NicholEvans »

so i should buy a new petrol pump is what you're saying?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Not if it is ticking as you say...
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's fine - the problem lies elsewhere I'm sure.......and no, not the coil........ :roll:
ImageImage
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly

Post by NicholEvans »

well its not ticking anymore when i turn the ignition on anymore and not when i tap it either. there was no petrol pumped through when i tried to start it up. i changed the parts in the dizzy too. i've ordered a new pump to try it out.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

NicholEvans wrote:well its not ticking anymore when i turn the ignition on anymore and not when i tap it either. there was no petrol pumped through when i tried to start it up. i changed the parts in the dizzy too. i've ordered a new pump to try it out.
When the issue is sorted keep the old pump and check the points under the pump cap. I believe when a pump perishes in the manner yours had, it may be a fading electronic component, however, if the contacts are well pitted (black n orrible) and prove to be the issue, they can be replaced and you could end up with a good quality spare by fitting new contacts for just a few quid.
Where angels fear to tread
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You told us the pump WAS ticking...... Once the float bowl is full - it 'rests' until more fuel is used, and then it automatically starts pumping again...
ImageImage
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly

Post by NicholEvans »

well what was happening was i was trying to start it and clearly this uses fuel from the carb, but no more was coming through. i can see in the filter i have on the fuel line from the pump to the carb (and i know you dont approve of this because i have seen you voice this before) but it wasnt filling the filter like it usually does. i sat there and turned it over for a good, long time. when i fit the new pump i will get back to you all on if it has sorted the problem.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

NO NO before you buy a new pump you need to pull the fuel line off the carb and switch on and see if the pump is pushing petrol through (Put the end of the pipe into a container) don't just look at the filter,thats not the way to check the pump,throw the filter away more trouble than they are worth.If its got a steady pulse of petrol then you need to look eslewhere. Do this and report the result.If the pump has packed up you would get no petrol in the carb even at start up . And turning the engine over would still not get petrol through,its not a mechanical pump.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above ^^^ test the pump before wasting money on a new one. It will take 2 minutes...... Why on earth do people fit filters to SU carb engines??? I can see the point if running Weber carb with many tiny jets - but NOT with an SU!!
ImageImage
NicholEvans
Minor Friendly

Post by NicholEvans »

well the fuel pump had completely packed up so it was the right choice to buy a new one. however, i still have the problem. i have noticed that the HT leads arent in the best condition and the lead which goes into the coil has some sort of wood screw in the end of it? screwed into the plastic. it is also very loose and breaks contact with the metal inside the coil with a very, very gentle tug, its basically bumping about inside the coil even though the screw on the outside of the coil is done up tight? could this cause the jerk and cause a loss of spark which is causing the breakdowns?