Original Distributor's Window Stickers

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
timlyon
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Original Distributor's Window Stickers

Post by timlyon »

The sticker in ROG's back window has survived 43 years even if a little frayed. John Bryant & Sons Ltd are no longer in the motor business. Since the car was originally registered in their name, I have been able to establish that their premises in Birmingham is now a shop selling saris. How times change.

Any other interesting stickers out there? Who has got the oldest?[frame]Image[/frame]
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
brucek
Minor Addict

Re: Original Distributor's Window Stickers

Post by brucek »

This is the sticker/transfer that was on the strengthening panel on the inside of my April 1959 convertible.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

According to the Eighth Edition of the BMC Distributors and Dealers in the UK gazetteer published in June 1961, Wheelers Garage were Birmingham based retail dealers for Austin, Morris and Wolseley and were a main dealer for Morris Light Commercial vehicles too. The car itself was despatched from Cowley to Colmore Depot Ltd (78 Station Street and 20-30 Hill Street) and then allocted to Wheelers. Not sure what, if any, building is now where this garage used to be. Must check street map and have a look :D

J Bryant and Sons are listed as retail dealers for Austin and Morris cars, main dealers for Austin Commercial light and heavy vehicles,distributors for Wolseley and MG and also distributors for marine engines too!

What a complicated network of dealers, main dealers and distibutors BMC operated back in the day! :D

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

My '58 has some remnants of a showroom sticker
timlyon
Minor Friendly

Post by timlyon »

There is a Wheelers Garage in Chipping Norton. I will ask if there is any connection next time I am there. Thanks for the info on John Bryant & Sons.
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

No problem. Looking on google street map Wheelers Garage at 774 Bristol Road South, Northfield Priory is now a cheap DIY store with no real evidence that there was ever a garage there! When my car is back on the road next year I'll have to get a picture of its return to its roots! :lol:

Tamsin
Minor Friendly

Post by Tamsin »

I know where my car came from... Courtesty of ASL looking it up at Gaydon 8)

It was sold from Caffyns, Brighton which used to sit on the A23, it was a car dealership right up until last year. I always knew it as an MG/Rover dealer and then when they went bust the building fell into disuse until late 2009 when it became an Audi Dealer. This shut in the summer of 2011 and the building was unused up until about 6 months ago when it became a Sainsburys local!

There it is! https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Caffyns+ ... 16.86,,0,0
1968 Maroon 2 Door
timlyon
Minor Friendly

Post by timlyon »

This is were John Bryant & Sons were in 1969. 415, Stratford Road, Birmingham. Would love know what it looked like back then![frame]Image[/frame]
Tim Lyon

"ROG"
www.newtricks.co.uk
C6Dave
Minor Fan

Post by C6Dave »

First thing I do with any car I buy is remove the dealer stickers which are in essence 'free' adverts for them.

They never offer a discount for them being on your car do they?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I like your thinking Dave, I feel the same about stuff plastered over clothing. If you're famous you get rich/richer, yet joe bloggs appears happy to walk round in it for nothing!

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

This is what was Wheelers Garage!! Incidentally, this is/was literally a stones throw away from the Longbridge plant![frame]Image[/frame]

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

A relative of a neighbour used to work for W.W.Webbers, Morris dealers in Basingstoke shortly after my car passed through their dealership (1952) and has a plaque which was fixed on the dash above the glove box lid. I hope to borrow it for copying.
Reference the comments about windscreen stickers, I agree about giving free adverising space. I also stick a Union Flag sticker over the EU stars on the number plates of any modern cars which pass though the family ownership.
[sig]3580[/sig]