Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
morrisbetsy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

engine swop

Post by morrisbetsy »

after being stored for several months but periodically started - just went to take my car for mot and she wouldnt start, garage put new battery on her and then a new fuel pump, she ran.. then stopped again and won't start again. Garage obviously charged me for everything they have done to date (almost£200) and want more money to investigate further (could just be something simple or complete engine seized they say...) so i've brought her home to have a think as they are a very expensive garage and i have a lovely mobile mechanic who has worked on her in the past but i need a worst case senario figure
so my question is...how expensive is it to swop the engine and start again - perhaps an engine with a little more power as i now live in a very hilly place. (derbyshire)
i do not need 'how to do it' as i certainly wouldnt tackle it myself! but to make the decision whether to sell or keep her...
I simply need to know what engine would be best to upgrade to and if any of you have had this done what did they charge?
You advice is greatly appreciated as i'm loath to give up on her :cry:[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by morrisbetsy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: engine swop

Post by les »

Sounds to me as though you to find out exactly what is wrong with the original engine first. If you have to replace (doubtful) and your diy skills are limited, just stick to the same type of engine you have now, much easier all round.

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

You don't say what year your car is and what engine you have already.

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

beero wrote:You don't say what year your car is and what engine you have already.
Indeed. I was recently given a fully working 1100 engine (very generous) so these are available. if your engine is an early (pre 1963-ish??) one an easy not-too-expensive move is to the 1100.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That garage have ripped you off horribly at £200 for a battery and a fuel pump - which you probably didn't need. And if they 'thought' the engine was seized - why on earth would they fit these parts....... So - first things first - does the engine turn ? Try with the starting handle - does it turn over? Does it turn over on the starter? Perhaps if you say where you are -someone nearby will be willing to pop round and have a look at what's wrong. If it has been started regularly - can't be that much wrong with it. Assuming it had antifreeze - and hasn't been allowed to freeze solid...........
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

beero wrote:You don't say what year your car is and what engine you have already.
It's a 1971 car with a 1098cc engine - see here: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=49802

Eric - 1971 Traveller
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I lived in Matlock and my 948 moggie was ok,even up bank road.Tho if on the smaller roads behind a lorry etc ,no chance of over taking,so a good 1098 is probably the easiest answer
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

Before Betsy sells it off, perhaps too cheap, is there anyone knowledgeable in the LE2 area who could have a look & at least give a diagnosis of the problem for her?
morrisbetsy
Minor Friendly

Post by morrisbetsy »

morrisbetsy wrote:after being stored for several months but periodically started - just went to take my car for mot and she wouldnt start, garage put new battery on her and then a new fuel pump, she ran.. then stopped again and won't start again. Garage obviously charged me for everything they have done to date (almost£200) and want more money to investigate further (could just be something simple or complete engine seized they say...) so i've brought her home to have a think as they are a very expensive garage and i have a lovely mobile mechanic who has worked on her in the past but i need a worst case senario figure
so my question is...how expensive is it to swop the engine and start again - perhaps an engine with a little more power as i now live in a very hilly place. (derbyshire)
i do not need 'how to do it' as i certainly wouldnt tackle it myself! but to make the decision whether to sell or keep her...
I simply need to know what engine would be best to upgrade to and if any of you have had this done what did they charge?
You advice is greatly appreciated as i'm loath to give up on her :cry:
She is a 1971 morris minor 1000
she isn't turning over - she is completely dead when i turn the key. Lights on dash do illuminate.
and i live a lot more rurally than Matlock hence considering upgrading engine to allow her to cope with the hills and conditions here.

to clarify....
The garage hasn't said the engine has seized - they are saying its a possibility - i appreciate you all know soooo much more about cars than me but i assume mechanics know what they are doing and i am not a mechanic so can't pass judgement, i can only tell you what they said and what they did...
they initially put a new battery on, then a fuel pump...
They said the clutch system was next on their list of things to check...i felt it was just going to go on and on so asked for the car back..but if a garage says the bill £190 then that's what i have to pay to get my car back so that's what i did - Otherwise i wouldn't be able to remove my car.
sorry to sound so disheartened but I am honestly so tired of tyre kickers and non helpful advice already i'm about to give up on this completely

if anyone has any helpful advice please do post - it may enable me to make the right decision[frame]Image[/frame]
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Have you tried contacting the Leicestershire branch? Details here: http://www.leicsmmoc.co.uk/

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I asked if the engine turns over on the handle - does it? If not - try rocking it in top gear (handbrake off and ignition off) to see if it comes free with a 'clunk'. Maybe the starter is just 'stuck in' which sometimes happens when an engine fails to start. If it's seized - the 'clutch' is the last thing to be worrying about - as indeed was the petrol pump......or the battery.... Must be someone nearby who can have a look for you??
ImageImage