Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
horologiumwatches
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

What would you take to France?

Post by horologiumwatches »

In June my girlfriend and I are going to embark on a 2500 mile trip around France. I'm doing work on the car before going to try and prevent break downs, but what would you chaps have in the boot just in case? (parts /tools)
Thanks
Tommy
1951 Series MM Lowlight
1954 Series II Four Door De Lux 'The Bomb'
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: What would you take to France?

Post by bmcecosse »

This is covered over and over again - why not try a search? The most important thing - a Recovery Card... I think you also need 2 X hi Viz vests. warning triangle and first aid kit. Perhaps more - check with channel crossing. And of course right hand dip headlamps......
ImageImage
horologiumwatches
Minor Fan

Sorry I didn't mean the legal stuff, I was thinking what parts you would carry.
1951 Series MM Lowlight
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

what ever you take. Make sure you take a few BREATHALYSER Kits

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

horologiumwatches wrote:Sorry I didn't mean the legal stuff, I was thinking what parts you would carry.
I would take a complete spare known working with cap and leads, maybe a condensor/points set spare also if you feel the need. I find it much simpler to just swap the dizzy than go through the laborious procedure which can be done at a later date. Also (if you can find one) one complete spare working fuel pump, a spare float valve for the carburettor, a spare coil (just in case :o) and a few connectors and pliers in case a connection disintegrates, a large bottle of tap water and a 5 litre jerry can, a can of 'RadWeld' is useful also (or an egg yolk if you believe the myth ;)). I am in the same boat as you, my Minor will hopefully be driving through Holland and eventually end up in France and back to Engand this summer, I would always pack as much as you can as if not it will be the thing you didn't pack that's faulty :oops:
mattyb
Minor Fan

Post by mattyb »

decent rotor arm (there have lots of duff ones out there) spare hoses for the radiator and jubilee clips, oil, fuses, can of WD40 plus the bits Chesney mentioned - check the spare tyre is fully inflated and do you have a wheel brace and jack ?, torch, kitchen sink :D ! Have a great trip ! I like the roads in France !
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I would take a trolly jack and a large piece of wood to spread the jacking load. As well as ^^^^^^^

plus bags of pork scratchings :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

By law in France you have to have Hi-viz jackets (in the front of the car not in the boot) a first aid kit and a warning triangle.

One thing most people forget. Standard Minor tyres are not available on the Continent so either take an extra spare or change your wheels for a size easily available.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Do you still need to have a chap walking in front of the car waving flags as a warning to other road users? :D
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Nooooo that was about 1905! :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Where are you? Someone local may loan you an extra spare wheel.

Gareth Rogers
Minor Friendly

Post by Gareth Rogers »

Ive done French trips twice. First time was in a white 4 door saloon named Gwen. She was fully restored by Manchester Minors just before trip, did about 1500 miles , speedo cable packed up in Calais, it had been jerking about for ages so I was warned ! She did use about 4 pints of oil despite it being a recon engine!! Take plenty, also brake fluid and anti freeze and trolley jack. I also fitted a sat nav socket ! The second trip was in Traveller, I went on my own, 700 mls and only did basic checks before leaving. Engine had done 98,000 mls and did not use as much oil as the recon one but the oil pressure light was coming on whilst doing 20mph in roadworks on M25, Traveller went like a dream but got lost south of Chartres on way to Chateauroux, if you are on your own, get that sat nav socket fitted !! The Traveller now resides in my French place awaiting ' Controle technique' !
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you want the list I would carry - dizzy/carb/fuel pump/alternator/fan belt/hoses/manifold gasket/head gasket and spare head/half shaft and perhaps a clutch plate and carbon thrust. These last parts will be hard to get in France if needed. 5 good tyres on the car - extra spare tyre under the bonnet if you wish, and a tube. Trolley jack of course and plenty of tools. Surprisingly, fluids can be bought in France.....And yes - I forgot - you must now carry breathalyser kits :o
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Driving in France?
Know the latest rules for drivers before you go to Europe

from the AA site

During 2012 there were several legal changes that affect you if you’re driving in France.
Even if you regularly drive to Europe, the AA is here to help you check the latest rules and requirements.
Two new French laws introduced during 2012 have subsequently been either abolished or postponed indefinitely.

Breathalysers
1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.

October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

And if you've got any room after that lot - take some clothes in a carrier bag! :lol:

Last time we went to France we even took a spare front windscreen - we didn't need it but a fellow Minor did his screen was broken by a flying brick from a lorry going the other way! :o

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
morrisminorbzh
Minor Fan

Post by morrisminorbzh »

ben_minor_63 wrote:what ever you take. Make sure you take a few BREATHALYSER Kits
No longer needed, the French have dropped this idea- was a farce and very difficult to enforce due to differences in the quality of tests being sold

Yes high-viz vests, triangle etc..............

BUT don't forget the obligatory little box with a set of light bulbs - and you must have the registration documents with you at all times.

Have a good trip, love to see you in Brittany..........I'm Minorless at the moment but hope to get that sorted out.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Swiss army knife with corkscrew tool :)

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
horologiumwatches
Minor Fan

Some brilliant information and suggestions there chaps, thanks. I'm definitely going to take spare windscreen glass (split screen).
1951 Series MM Lowlight
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's extreme - in an emergency a piece of polycarbonate could be fitted.......
ImageImage
horologiumwatches
Minor Fan

Well I've got plenty of spare split screen windscreens and they will fit on top of the spare wheel easily enough.
1951 Series MM Lowlight