Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
1mustard
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Convertible roof fitter needed

Post by 1mustard »

Hi all, i am getting there with my convertible minor project, all the roof, mechanism etc was removed the frame has been powder coated etc, however i have never fitted one of these roofs before, i am not exactly scared of giving it a go, but i do want it bang on right first time, and don't want to be ''practicing'' on it, i hate seeing things like these not fitted properly.
So are there on the club site good fitting instructions for these? or alternatively does anyone know or can they recommend a good trimmer/roof fitter either professional or someone who knows there way around these roofs to me.
I would prefer it to be done at my workshop but i can transport it if i have to.
I am based in chelmsford, essex, i do know a few trimmers but i am sceptical about how good a job they can make of it.
I am happy to pay a reasonable fair price, it doesnt have to be silly cheap but i won't pay silly money either, its a days work for someone who knows what they are doing.

let me know.

cheers
1mustard
Minor Fan

Re: Convertible roof fitter needed

Post by 1mustard »

still looking!
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

1mustard wrote:still looking!
A section on can be found in - Restoration Manual Morris Minor and 1000 (Haynes/ Lindsay Porter - 1985 /ISBN no 978 1 85960 696 4)

"Fitting a new tourer hood" , 7 pages, it has older style b/w photos.

May help you to assess the process.
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Its quite easy if you get two people doing it and also let the hood stretch overnight before you trim
1mustard
Minor Fan

Post by 1mustard »

i may give it a go, call me cynical, but the amount of times i have heard people say something is ''easy'', and you can tell when something isn't done professionally, be it paint, welding whatever, i find it hard to believe its easy to fit it right, bang on first time with no experience, especially as the roof has been off for a long time, and i have no reference.
However i dont really trust the pro trimmer i know, so i may give it a bash myself.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

This is the right weather to be having a bash at it anyway :)

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Well we managed to fit the new hood on our convertible. Never done it before, but once you acquaint yourself with all the bits it's not hard. If you know someone nearby with a convertible ask them if you can go and take photos. You can then use these as a guide when fitting. We used the Haynes Restoration Manual as well.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
1mustard
Minor Fan

Post by 1mustard »

cheers guys, your enthusiasm is pushing me towards doing it, like you say i could do with having a look at another one for reference.
i will keep you informed.
ta