Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

hif44 setup from scratch?

Post by wickermonkey »

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointer on how to setup a hif44 carb properly. I have a 1275 ital engine, hif44 with k&n, minispares intake, SS 3-1 exhaust, i think it also has a BBW needle in the crab aswell as electronic igntion.

Ive always managed to get it running in the past but i think it was more down to luck than judgement but the choke cable came loose the other day and now after i have put it back it wont run properly. I can get it to run when its warm and idle nicely but when i try to start it from cold i have to sit with my foot on the accelerator to get it to run, the choke just tries its hardest to make it cut out.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: hif44 setup from scratch?

Post by bmcecosse »

Sounds like far too much 'choke'....which of course isn't a choke at all - it just enriches the mixture and it sounds like yours is far too rich - with not enough throttle. Check the choke cable isn't too tight - going fully off -and then adjust the 'fast idle' screw so it is clear when the choke is off, and then picks up progressively as you pull the choke out.
ImageImage
wickermonkey
Minor Friendly

Post by wickermonkey »

Cheers, ive now got the choke arrow pointing at the fast idle screw and the screw set so that there is just a gap between it and the choke when it is adling. Will have to wait until tomorrow now to test it from cold. Was ticking over nicely when it was warm.

Just to clarify, as ive read elsewhere on here and other places on the net, I wound the mixture screw all the way in and then backed it off 12 flats? which if what ive read is correct 2 full turns of the screw, 720 degrees?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That vague instruction is for the NUT on the older type SU. But you have found the mixture screw - so it's just a case of getting the engine right up to working conditions - and then twiddle the screw back and forth to get the nicest idle condition. Then confirm with a plug colour check after a good run.
ImageImage