Getting Prepared

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ALISCAR
MMOC Member: No

Getting Prepared

Post by ALISCAR »

My wife, Ali, needed a car for her 15 mile each way daily commute to a new job when the weather wasn't good enough to ride her 600cc Yamaha. She chose a 1966 Traveller, perhaps not the wisest Minor choice for everyday year-round use without a garage (garage space is taken by 1950 Citroen Light 15 and 1937 Austin Ten Tourer plus Brit motorcycles) but what a looker and what fun the Traveller is. We live in Salisbury. Car is in pretty good order including the wood.
So, advice please as we get started: We shall revarnish the wood, but should I inject some flexible sealer to stop water getting between the bodywork and the wood (upper joint only to allow any water to escape), the back of which cannot be revarnished easily? What spares should we hold so that I can keep the car on the road? (Petrol Pump - or is that usually fixable with attention to contacts?). My old back does not relish crawling under the car (on axle stands) for the necessary seek and destroy mission on underbody rust; is there a Morris-friendly garage within easy reach where she could be put on a lift?
Hope to see some of you some time but we are both busy and I am also a member of VMCC, Norton OC, BSA OC, Austin Ten DC, Traction Owners' Club. Your advice will help keep a Moggie doing what it was designed for and what it gives so much fun for. Nigel Orchard
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Getting Prepared

Post by bmcecosse »

Varnish traps moisture....I prefer to oil the timber...Teak oil in my case but others have their own favourites. Make sure the drain holes are kept clear. There's no end of spares to be carried - but tops are a known working fuel pump, a complete known working dizzy and a fan belt and top and bottom hoses - and a bypass hose.....and a trolley jack. The car NEVER to be jacked using the 'jacking points'...
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I used Sikkens microporous wood stain on my Traveller a few years back, and recommend it as a very durable finish - having previously tried all the usual yacht varnishes, boiled linseed oil, Danish oil, etc.

Absolute nonsense all this guff about not using the original jacking points - as long as they're in sound condition (keep them Waxoyled so they stay that way), they're perfectly adequate, and no worse than those on modern cars.

If only doing 15 miles a day, I doubt a spare fuel pump will be necessary; just ensure the points are OK, or better still, fit a Burlen electronic fuel pump conversion - I did years ago, and it's not missed a beat since, even when left unused for several weeks - I used to find myself regularly having to whack the old points-equipped pump to get it to work.

http://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spare ... -kits.html

Same goes for the points in the distributor - I recommend the 'Accuspark/Simonbbc' electronic ignition, which fits unobtrusively inside the distributor. Best to keep a spare set of points in the glovebox just in case you should ever need to revert to standard though. :wink:

http://www.accuspark.co.uk/accuspark.html
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

It does not matter how many spares you carry, Murphey's Law says that the part that breaks will be the one that you are not carrying a spare for. Just carry your breakdown recovery card. That can't break down so you will never have to use it.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The point of carrying these few spares is that you will NEVER need them! But left at home.....it will be sure to go wrong... :)
And the trouble is that many Minors have 'marginal' jacking points, and the safety issue of the car possibly descending on anyone working away - even just changing a wheel, is just not worth the risk. The damage to the sills is just a secondary consideration.
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

[quote="Chipper"] Absolute nonsense all this guff about not using the original jacking points - as long as they're in sound condition (keep them Waxoyled so they stay that way), they're perfectly adequate, and no worse than those on modern car
quote]
You have obviously been very lucky to have one which is still sound,after 30 odd years they will be weakened,
they were't the best system even from new,lifting the whole side of the car(except ser11) from one point,is not to be advised. Moderns usually lift from one corner raising only one wheel.Keep well out of the way if you use the original.
thomasusa80

Post by thomasusa80 »

It doesn't make a difference what number of extras you convey, Murphey's Law says that the part that breaks will be the particular case that you are not convey an extra for. Simply convey your breakdown recuperation card. That can't break down so you will never need to utilize it.

_Edwordstephen_
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Are you mike.perry's American double, by any chance? :lol:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

I may well be at risk of teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs here, and definitely at risk of repeating myself, however.....................................diskclock, secret switch, etched windows et al to keep the perps off the wifes mog.
Where angels fear to tread