Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markthe45king
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

engine oil leak and more strange rattlings

Post by markthe45king »

As a starting point - the car is running basically well, except for the following issues which I need your input on.

Firstly - we seem to have started getting through a fair whack of oil - though having just moved and not having checked the new drive first, I can't see if there is an obvious leak. I now have a sheet under the engine to see if any leaks are new. However, this is further complicated by the fact in my haste to top up the oil, I missed the funnel and sent oil down both sides of the engine block. So - apart from the obvious oil levels dropping - is there anywhere obvious I should be checking for leaks and what's the best fix?

Also - a couple of times trying to pull away in second, she properly rattled and growled - I know my clutch control can be questionable at times, but I've not had this before. Both times were in traffic, and pre-the oil top up - which seems to have solved it, and she wasn't over-heating - so any other ideas?

Finally - I'm a dj and I've driven Lily for 5 years now, so we're finely tuned in - I seem to have developed a noise in the back driver side wheel which sounds a bit like something wrapping round the axle. There's nothing visual there, and you only really hear it occasionally turning right - but I was told the previous noise was the old rusty brake discs and they've only been replaced a month or so. So any thoughts on that? It is really intermittent, but I though I'd check!

Sorry it's a long list!
[sig]10256[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: engine oil leak and more strange rattlings

Post by bmcecosse »

Rusty brake discs ??? On the rear of a Minor?? I doubt it! Check the wheel nuts are tight... And jack up and wiggle the wheel to check for any bearing wear.. Sounds like you have run low on oil and damaged the bearings - hence the engine rattle - especially at low revs when the pressure will be low, you now get 'big end rattle'... Don't start away in 2nd gear! And keep the oil well topped up. Ideally you should drop the sump and inspect the centre main shells and the big ends.....I know you don't want to hear that, but if you can renew the shells before the crank is damaged.......
ImageImage
markthe45king
Minor Fan

Post by markthe45king »

Thank you as ever my learned Scottish friend.

The oil had got low which has made me very angry, as she'd had a service 5 weeks ago and I was assured the oil had been topped up and I can't see how she's lost that much oil in 5 weeks with no obvious leak - I've had cardboard under the car for 3 days now and there's the odd drop and I've checked the level before and after each journey since and it's not showing any obvious loss. Very annoying.

The rattle seems to have stopped - but I will get a different garage to have a look at the shells to be safe.
[sig]10256[/sig]
ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

has the rattling sound been identified ?

Jamie
markthe45king
Minor Fan

Post by markthe45king »

Only BMEcosse's explanation - like I said it was only a couple of times pulling away in second - but it was boneshaking, and there was a loss of power - I've found a place that does vintage cars very local to me to get another opinion. I got oil into her within about 3 miles, but the damage may have already been done, although she's still running smoothly.
[sig]10256[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Top up the oil once a week if the car is in regular use.
ImageImage
Ieuan
Minor Friendly

Post by Ieuan »

If you're using an excessive amount of oil you could be burning it off. My engine desperately needs a rebuild and currently needs filling from the low to full mark every 50 miles. Have you got any smoke behind you at all??
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ieuan - that is excessive ! Check the crankcase breathing pipes are not blocked - and it may be worthwhile fitting new valve guides and 'top hat' oil seals on the inlet valves. I have seen guides with almost 1/16" wear...and clearly that will suck in oil from the rocker gear.
ImageImage