Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gubben
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

What engine?

Post by Gubben »

Kan someone explain to me what engine I have. Early Minor? Morris 8? Here is a picture of the ID plate. The plate says TYPE USHMIVLX

/Thomas[frame]Image[/frame]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: What engine?

Post by mike.perry »

USHM is a side valve engine U = engine type, S = Side valve, H = power rating, M = Morris. See http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk
USHM is normally followed by 2 = early Series MM Minor engine or 3 = late Series MM. Not sure about IVLX, looks like Roman numerals but in the wrong order, IV = 4, L = 50, X = 10. Correct order = LXIV = 64 or LXVI = 66
The side valve engine was produced for various applications, cars, tractors, marine engines, tank generator engines etc. If you have some photos of the engine then I could probably identify it
Last edited by mike.perry on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Gubben
Minor Friendly

Post by Gubben »

Hi Mike,
Here is more fotos/Thomas[frame]Image[/frame]
Gubben
Minor Friendly

Post by Gubben »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Gubben
Minor Friendly

Post by Gubben »

[frame]Image[/frame]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

It is an early block, the oil filler is at the front of the block instead of at the rear, there is no oil filter (they were not fitted until late USHM2 engines). The exhaust manifold runs forward to the exhaust pipe.
I don't know what that bracket is screwed into the block behind the oil filler pipe which is where the bottom hose elbow is normally located.
I would like to see some photos of the cylinder head but at the moment I would say that it is a Morrris 8 but I am not sure of the series
[sig]3580[/sig]