Generator

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Generator

Post by bmcecosse »

Fearing power cuts this winter - anyone got any recommendations for a good but inexpensive generator?
ImageImage
tysonn
Minor Legend

Re: Generator

Post by tysonn »

Why do you fear powercuts Roy?Are you privy to something we don't know?
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Surely Roy is right to think about the power cuts before they happen rather than when. Mind you, at least HE could go down to the engine shed and keep warm that way!
There were TWO steamers parked up at Lincoln on Saturday afternoon - must have been the first time for many years. One excursion from London and one from Birmingham.
Kipors are good if you can find one - they were a Nonda copy (if you get my drift) but a lot of them got in to the country - 4 stroke, reliable, quiet and several ratings from about 800w upwards.
:)
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

What powercuts?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Soapy Salmond has committed us to windpower and a few old Hydro stations - and little else . The main coal burning station is to be shut down - even though recently modernised and fitted with stack scrubbers, and a railway line run in to bring the coal.... The few nuclear stations we have are all stopped because of minute cracks in the boiler of one of them - nothing to do with the nuclear side - but wild panic all round... The gas burning station near Edinburgh was closed in the summer - deemed to be 'life expired' - and so now we have to rely on power from England. And of course England has it's own troubles with power - and quite rightly - if there isn't enough to go round - they are not going to be sending it North!! So I forsee trouble ahead... Of course - if I buy the genny all will be well - and if I don't I bet the lights will go out next week!! So a good genny seems like good insurance to me - to keep the gas heating running, and the TV and of course - this computer! I reckon a good investment either way - and it will 'always' be worth whatever I pay if I look after it....
ImageImage
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Anything made by Honda is a winner.

Scotland is much more forward thinking than England when it comes to renewable energy. Our village recently had plans for a solar farm turned down because the locals didn't like it and thought it would scare the horses (amongst a million other weak excuses!)
Glad to be back!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I'm all for green energy -although I wish they would put little LEDs on the ends of the turbine blades....imagine how that would look! But the base load must surely be nuclear for future security of supply - unfortunately Soapy and his pals are determined NOT to have nuclear in Scotland. You lot had better look out - he's moving down South at the next election !!! :D
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Salmond was replaced by a Sturgeon, something fishy there, sorry, So now he has the nerve to stand for a seat in what would have been an English parliament if he had won the last election
Last edited by mike.perry on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sturgeon - a very dangerous fish..... And yes - Salmond was so critical of the House of Commons during the Referendum. He's been there before of course. He believes SNP will hold the balance of power at the election (by SNP winning many of the traditional Labour seats in Scotland) - and so he could form an alliance (although the SNP have said in the past NEVER with the Conservatives..) and perhaps be Deputy PM !!! No end to his ambitions. :o
ImageImage
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

SNUKIP???????
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Sent you a PM Roy.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
ferrit
Minor Friendly

Post by ferrit »

Getting back on topic…….

I invested one of these this year.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swiss-Kraft-P ... 19f873e8bf

We’ve already had a 6 hour power cut last week and it kept fridge, freezer and microwave going as needed.

I’ve also managed to get it to run my band saw in the garage, though it did struggle with the start up current to get it started.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thanks Richard - reply sent. And thanks ferrit - a wee bit out of my price range !! :roll:
ImageImage
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

We have a gasoline powered generator and keep gasoline stored for it "just in case", I replace the fuel every 6 months to keep it fresh. Nowadays ifn I was to buy a generator I would buy one that runs on propane, as the propane will keep indefinatly in it's tank I wouldn't have to think about replacing the fuel periodically.

Oops, I used the word gasoline and should have said petrol, sorry about that.
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As long as the fuel is stored in a closed can - it should be ok. How often each winter do you need to run the genny ??
ImageImage
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

How often each winter do you need to run the genny ??
Haven't used it since we moved back to Alberta 14 years ago. When we lived in British Columbia that was a different story, had power failures about every 2 years for a day or 2 each time.

Edit, I run the generator every 2 years just to make sure that it's still serviceable.
Talk slow, think fast!
meh
Minor Friendly

Post by meh »

This may be the best at the moment ebay item 181181089987
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hah! Well - 300 w won't help much when the lights go out - and at only 12 or 24 volts anyway.... Here's the link... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181181089987? ... 26_rdc%3D1
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

TFM150K wrote:Surely Roy is right to think about the power cuts before they happen rather than when. Mind you, at least HE could go down to the engine shed and keep warm that way!
There were TWO steamers parked up at Lincoln on Saturday afternoon - must have been the first time for many years. One excursion from London and one from Birmingham.
Kipors are good if you can find one - they were a Nonda copy (if you get my drift) but a lot of them got in to the country - 4 stroke, reliable, quiet and several ratings from about 800w upwards.
:)
Dave

Hardly think a Jewish holy day will help Roy!

or do you mean Kippers - I suppose you could train them to use a wheel or
simply wrap copper wire around them and bung them in a acidic fish tank -
although, would need a neverending supply.... :P
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Roy, why not build your own? http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html
Talk slow, think fast!