Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
toginthemog
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

No oil pressure

Post by toginthemog »

I wonder if anyone can help me I have been asked to check a Austin A 35 over as it's the same engine as the Morris 950 I should get an answer from you knowledged people
The engine did not run so with a set of points it now does I had to stop it straight away as it sounded like a bag of bolts on taking rocker top off found no oil getting around the engine .
I have now removed the oil feed pipe to filter oil filter and housing only to find it clear of any blockages
I have now removed the sump to check pickup pipe that is clean and free flowing
Can the oil pump just fail or is there something I've missed the crank is bone dry apart from the lowest part of the crank of which has just touch the oil in the sump
How much is a new pump and where is the best place to get one
[sig]8906[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: No oil pressure

Post by bmcecosse »

If it's been lying fora long time - the oil will have drained away from the pump. The recommended procedure is to remove the plugs, pour some oil down each bore, and crank the engine on the starter until the oil pressure light goes out - and keep going for another 10/20 seconds. All this BEFORE even thinking about starting up... Even this may not work - in which case (and will be worth doing now in your case) - remove the priming plug (just above the drain tap - rear right side of the block) and pour in oil while someone turns the engine over by hand to suck the oil into the pump. Refit the plug - and crank till the light goes out etc.... I fear though that by starting it without priming - the crank bearings and piston rings may now be damaged.
ImageImage
toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

I will try it tomorrow thanks it's only been stood for a few months so let's hope I've not damaged it beyond repair the owner is prepared for a full recon as he said its run like this for a while thanks will let you know on progress tomorrow
[sig]8906[/sig]
toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

Thanks so much for the advice sump cleaned out of half a cup of sludge put it all back together with new oil and filter primed it as you said and including down the bores and used starter handle till light went out key in and it sounds like a sewing machine. Once again thanks
[sig]8906[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good news ! Well done. :)
ImageImage