Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tapitha
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Petrol pump not pumping!

Post by Tapitha »

My Minor "Tapitha" has been laid up since November. On Monday the sun shone so I unwrapped her, pumped tyres, checked oil and water and connected battery. I then expected that the engine would start easily as usual. However the petrol pump ticked furiously and didn't pump petrol to the carb.
I studied the workshop manuals for advice. I disconnected the pipe at the carb to make sure the fault was at the pump. No petrol went into the jam jar. Next I checked the filter at the outlet from the pump. Perfect condition and not blocked.
What is my next move, please? Do I remove and dismantle the pump or is there an easier way to sort it out? Are new parts available for rebuilding SU pumps?
Thanks,
Mike
taupe
Minor Legend

Re: Petrol pump not pumping!

Post by taupe »

put some petrol in the tank?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above... Sounds like no petrol in the tank.
ImageImage
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

It is possible that the petrol pick-up pipe has broken inside the tank, but that is a very rare problem. If it was working before you put it away, then it should be OK. Other than that, check the pipe unions to make sure that there are no leaks - air sucked into the pipe will prevent the petrol being sucked. It could be a diaphragm or valve problem in the pump, but again unusual. Most likely is checking the petrol. This really demonstrates that the cars should be used, not wrapped up :wink:
Tapitha
Minor Fan

Post by Tapitha »

Should be plenty of petrol in the tank but I will check it. I know the car should be used but I have been away from home since early November except for a couple of quick visits so car has been wrapped up. The garage is occupied by an MGBGT.
The fuel gauge doesn't work so I will have to dip the tank and put in a canfull of petrol.
The fuel gauge works sometimes but I don't know what is wrong with it. I can't find the sender unit and I can't get to the back of the gauge to check wiring.
Thanks for advice,
Mike
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Check the filter in the pump?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Sender unit is on top of the tank, under the boot wooden floor, roughly in the centre.
Tapitha
Minor Fan

Post by Tapitha »

It looks as if you all could be right - no petrol! I dipped the tank with a length of 3/8 inch plastic tube and it came back with just a little petrol at the bottom. I then checked my log and found I had done nearly 150 miles since putting 4 gallons in the tank so I must have used most of that and evaporation used the rest.
I will put a gallon in from a can tomorrow and hope it will start and get me round to the filling station.
It just goes to show how often a simple, obvious solution to a problem can be overlooked!
Thanks to you all who put me on the right track. I would never have thought of no fuel because I thought the tank was about half full. Must try and get the gauge working again.
Cheers,
Mike and "Tapitha"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
ImageImage
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

If minors ran on whisky the evaporation would be known as the ' Angel's share'
Tapitha
Minor Fan

Post by Tapitha »

I put about 2 gallons in the tank and surprisingly the gauge worked and showed 1/4 full. I then switched on and the pump started ticking. Just as before it didn't stop! I fitted a tube from the inlet to a jam jar of petrol and it didn't suck the petrol so I assume there is no suction so something is wrong with the pump.
What to do now? Possible actions:
1. Fit a new pump (they seem to be very expensive!)
2. buy and fit a used pump
3. dismantle pump and see if I can find what is wrong
4. take it to an auto-electric engineers
5. take SU pump off my MGB and see if that works. I would then know for sure the pump is faulty.
There seem to be lots of different SU pumps. What is the correct one for a 1969 Minor 1098cc? What is the part number?
The pump looks quite new and I suppose it was fitted when the car was completely restored in 2003/4. The inlet is on the side and the outlet on top (like 10 to 12 on a clock).
More suggestions and advice please,
Thanks
Mike
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I doubt it's the pump - more likely a blockage in the pipe. With the pump on - put a clean rag round the filler pipe and BLOW hard . It may just get things flowing......... :P
ImageImage
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Check the filter in the pump?
Talk slow, think fast!
gcook
Minor Friendly

Post by gcook »

When i had an issue with a Victor that hood stood for too long I put a teaspoon or so of petrol down the wrong way. Seemed to clear the vapour locks etc
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Certainly the pump will do better if it has some fluid priming to work on. Blowing in the tank should do the job. Just don't suck .....
ImageImage
Tapitha
Minor Fan

Post by Tapitha »

Used a small compressed air gun to blow through all pipes and the pump inlet this afternoon. I managed to
get the pump sucking up petrol out of a jam jar once. It seems to pump when the inlet filter is removed but doesn't want to work when the filter and fibre washers are present. I am not sure if I have them correctly assembled as the exploded diagrams in the manuals seem different to my pump. I have put the filter (which is very clean) in first with the retaining spring outwards and then two fibre washers, a thicker one first then the thinner and finally the brass union.
At least I now know that the pump will work but it just doesn't want to pump petrol from the tank.
"Tapitha" always seems to suffer from strange problems which are not easy to sort out and take up a lot of time. Very frustrating!!!
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I'm wondering if you have an early Mini pump instead of a Minor one, Mini ones are pushers designed to be fitted next to the tank while Minor ones are suckers. No idea how to tell them apart though sorry :-?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Mini ones have plastic valve covers - and yes they are hopeless suckers......
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

its possible that the one way valves are stuck damaged,you should be able to blow into the pump by the inlet,but not suck any air out,and suck ouit of the outlet and not be able to blow into it
Tapitha
Minor Fan

Post by Tapitha »

At last the fuel supply is sorted!
I worked on it this morning but still failed to pump petrol from tank. After lunch as a last resort I phoned the AA. A very pleasant AA gentleman came and did all the things I have done but he had a device for sucking petrol up the supply pipe from the tank and into the pump. We screwed everything back and the pump started to pump petrol to the carb.
Engine then started but only on three cylinders. Fitted new spark plugs and everything running smoothly. Long may everything work so I can enjoy the summer.
Mike and "Tapitha"