Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TFM150K
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Translation required please

Post by TFM150K »

If you pull up one of these screens to post a new topic or a reply, then drop below the box where you put in your words of wisdom, there are 5 options that you can use, the third of which is "Do not automatically parse URLs". Would somebody please be so kind as to explain to this person of limited education, what that means in simple English, please?
:roll:
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Re: Translation required please

Post by warweezil »

Parsing a url is where the forum automatically converts a typed web address contained in a post into a clickable link more correctly known as a hyperlink

So where in this reply I have typed the URL http://www.mmoc.org.uk/ and then selected the "Do not automatically parse URLs" option, the forum software knows not to convert the URL to a clickable link and to leave it as plain text with no function.

I hope that is as clear as I have tried to make it.
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Absolutely - many thanks.
:D
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

I didn't know how to parse an URL either, Alan!

Bertie.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Uniform Resource Locator. Every page you go to on the web has it's own "address" :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Still baffles me but then any computer instructions baffle me!
[sig]3580[/sig]
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

mike.perry wrote:Still baffles me but then any computer instructions baffle me!
Some of this stuff - along with pc repair and building I learned from myself... a result of having Win 95 crash on xmas eve in the year of its launch and not wanting to be without my new toy over xmas, I decided then that in future I wanted to be able to sort out basic stuff myself.

Some of the stuff comes from a few years as the sole Moderator of the now closed "Grumbletext" consumer forum, and a smattering of deeper knowledge from having a partner who did an I.T. course at college.

Its so much easier now than it was back in the days of dial up networking.... crazy.. I was considered a show off because I had a machine with a 15" monitor, 32mb ram, a 3.2 g.b hard drive and a 33k modem. Times have changed, its now a 27" iMac with 8 GB ram, a 1 TB hard drive on an 80/20 Fibre service that runs at about 74 Mbps.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Now you are showing off :wink:
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Ifn I had a 27" screen I'd have to sit so far back from it my arms wouldn't be long enough to reach the keyboard.
Talk slow, think fast!
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

It would be great if only BT Openjoke could sort out the issue with my line that has caused random disconnections ever since I first had broadband. Trying to convince them that the issue is local between my phone socket and the cabinet at the bottom of the road. As I am on Fibre now the link between here and the street cabinet is the only bit of the old line left, after the cabinet we run on brand new fibre.

The way broadband works in the UK makes it difficult, the people responsible for the maintainance of the lines and stuff are one step removed, you cant go to them to complain, issues are passed on by your ISP... and to be honest that makes exerting pressure almost impossible.

The iMac was an xmas gift from my partner who managed to keep it secret, even when I saw the box I thought it was just a huge monitor to go with my old PC which I had moved from Windows to Linux. I'm a lucky guy