Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
warweezil
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Back on Track.

Post by warweezil »

After a hiatus over winter caused by a mixture of my own health issues and the demands of disabled family members (thankfully I have a very understanding employer), I have finally started work on the beast again. I did find time to take an FE course at a local college on Mig Welding and brazing - basic instruction but so far the results seem good. based on the recommendation of the instructor and the tech at the college and some input from a friend who welds, I had a short list of MIG units I was looking at and 2 weeks ago I got hold of a Lincoln 35-170 amp unit in good nick complete with some spare consumables, and in a couple of weeks time I will be getting some gas using the rent free scheme (even my boss is impressed with that having looked into it - maybe I should be on commission from the gas suppliers :lol: )

So yesterday (after we closed the yard) I took a long hard look at the off-side structure. I concluded that I can make a patch panel for the small area of corrosion at the very bottom of the "A" pillar and the small hole above the crossmember (the only corrosion on the floorpan) and the 2 tiny holes on the inner wing at the front. I have cut a windscreen pillar from one of the corroded wrecks we had in the yard, I am going to separate the outer skin from the rest and create a repair panel so I can then separate my cars' offside pillar and remove the corroded/perforated outer skin while retaining the inner components in place to help maintain the correct profile of the screen aperture.

Sadly it seems the lower structure is worse than I hoped, after attacking the rear inner wing with a flapwheel I concluded that the amount of corrosion present really requires a whole new panel - I was hoping to retain the original centre part and fit repair panels each end. I reckon I need the following - listed in the order I think is best for fitting.

* "C" Post repair panel
* "A" pillar cover panel (along with a hand formed repair section that will probably be a shade over 2 inches deep to provide attachment at the very bottom of the A pillar)
* Outer Sill
* O/S/R Full Inner Wing
* O/S/R Wheel Arch Flange
Then there is the question of the rear Spring hangar, it has rotted away behind the hanger, The hanger area itself seems solid but the outer edge and underside of the box section has disappeared along with the area where the O/S/R box section meets the rear floor/flitch (runs across the underside behind the fuel tank) and corresponded to an area of the car which for many years was located under a garage roof leak and where the rear wing had completely rotted away.

I'm looking for advice on sources for good quality panels, I got some rear door repair panels from an abandoned project clearance lot on ebay and was very disappointed with the fit of the panels which required a LOT of work to get them to the right basic profile - not fitted them yet, I'm still not certain I like the way they sit.

Im not looking for cheapest, I want some good quality stuff that is the right shape and near the right gauge, nothing looks worse than cheap badly formed panels that are too thin for the job. I am interested in the wisdom of crowds here, who are good and who to avoid? I need to work out what thickness of steel I need for repair panels, if I make up patch panels for the rear box and the A pillar then the question of gauge arises, are both areas likely to be the same thickness?

This little car is going to turn me grey(er) :lol:
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
volrod544
Minor Friendly

Re: Back on Track.

Post by volrod544 »

i would tend to buy hadrian type panels now having had problems with another suppliers panels.these are avaliable from several suppliers
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

henric are the best if you can get hold of some
may be a search on ebay
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

Thanks both, Looks like another weekend is shot, the Boss is intent on me trying my new found welding skills touching up a few cracked welds on his truck prior to its annual test at the end of the month. I guess I cant blow too many holes in the crash bars :lol:
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.