Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jcbrobot
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1967 number plate

Post by jcbrobot »

What is the right colour for my moggie, black and silver or white and yellow?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: 1967 number plate

Post by ASL642 »

It's up to you but any vehicle registered after 1st January 1973 had to carry yellow/white plates by law. So originally your '65 car would have had the black silver plates.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by busguy »

Yours is black and silver. Yellow/white plates introduced 1/1/73
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

People now tend to fit the old style silver on black number plates in the belief that they're "correct" for Morris Minors. However, the reflective type became available in 1967 so are most likely original on your car. A friend of mine has owned his 1968 Minor since new and it has always had the reflective ones. My 1969 car also has them. They didn't become compulsory until 1973 but most new cars had been fitted with them for the previous 6 years or so. You can have either type on your car.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The previous replies highlight exactly the confusion regarding this subject :-?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Indeed! And it's a personal choice. I'd have silver and black because they look right. Not the black felt tip on cardboard I saw on a Mini today in Morrisons car park.
jcbrobot
Minor Friendly

Post by jcbrobot »

Thank you all, mine is an April 67 car so think I'll go black and silvers
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

jcbrobot wrote:Thank you all, mine is an April 67 car so think I'll go black and silvers
Personally I'd leave them alone, period reflective plates are nigh impossible to replace - black & silver easy - personal
choice I suppose.....
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

So do what we do don't throw them away. Keep the reflective plates safe (we hang them on the garage wall) and fit black /silver. You always got them then if you ever need to refit them. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

All Police "Panda" Morris Minors which were introduced around that time, had reflective plates fitted from new. They were basically introduced as a safety feature - to make cars more visible particularly when parked at night.
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

SteveClem wrote:Indeed! And it's a personal choice. I'd have silver and black because they look right. Not the black felt tip on cardboard I saw on a Mini today in Morrisons car park.
Actually thats spot on for an old mini - along with a cross of tape that - while imitating the "rally driver" look - actually held in the rotted Lucas headlamp bowls on many old BMC cars (including my Mk2 A40 countryman (the first real hatchback in my view) :lol:
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

It hadn't occurred to me that it was really a sympathetic restoration!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

warweezil wrote: including my Mk2 A40 countryman (the first real hatchback in my view) :lol:
I don't think Citroen would agree with you there, The Citroen Traction "Commerciale" was a front wheel drive 5door hatchback designed and built before the second world war :wink:
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

ManyMinors wrote:I don't think Citroen would agree with you there, The Citroen Traction "Commerciale" was a front wheel drive 5door hatchback designed and built before the second world war :wink:
Ok call it the first "modern" hatchback, certainly earlier than the first claim applied to the Maxi in 1969 which always struck me as being more of an estate car than a hatchback albeit an estate that was also a double bed on wheels (if you believed the blurb).
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
GreenGiant57
Minor Addict

Post by GreenGiant57 »

My August 66 Traveller was supplied new with Black/Silver plates.

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

My 71 traveller had the original yellow/black rear plate on, they were probably an optional extra at the time. The front one was a horrible modern replacement but I managed to get an original blank and the correct Bluemels plastic letters and numbers to go with it, I think they look OK.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

And they'll look right on that age of car too! As a prev poster said, reflective plates were introduced in '67 (I have an advert in a Practical Motorist mag showing an A40 with pre age letter reg and the title said - "How to make your ten year old car look new" the inference being that if you fitted the latest number plates no one would notice that its an old car.... :-? )
I would expect, not that I was around then, or at leats not old enough to be interested in cars, that the new reflective plates gradually gained in popularity until by the time they became compulsory in 73, pretty much all new cars had them anyway.
In some ways a 1970 -71 Minor looks more odd with black plates - less orig possibly anyway! I had a very original battered 1968 Minor pickup some years ago that had pressed aluminium reflective plates, obviously dealer fitted from new. I expect they got binned when it was restored and black and silver ones fitted...
In the end its down to personal choice as when new it was down to customer choice or whatever the dealer was fitting at the time.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!