Advice on buying a Convertible please.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Advice on buying a Convertible please.

Post by POMMReg »

ManyMinors wrote:What have the floors got to do with it? Surely a Minor of this age wouldn't have had the chassis number stamped into the floor would it?
The buyer says he has the original 1953 logbook and that states that it was originally a Tourer.
If you screw a Tourer chassis plate & registration plate to a settee, does the settee become a Tourer?

Logbooks are NOT guaranteed - they can be bought on auction sites etc - ONLY way is the stamped in chassis number.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree BUT my point is that the floors are surely irrelevant on a car where the chassis number would never have been stamped in the floor in the first place.
Personally I wouldn't put my name to a "genuine convertible" without seeing it in the flesh.
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

According to the original log book it actually came off the production line at Cowley on the 1st of January 1953.

The log book is fascinating would anyone be interested if I scan it in,? if so do I need to hide the Reg number? it has loads of stamps in it and address changes and owner changes

The log book has lots of info and stamps on it from 1953 to 1974.

It was originally 918cc but then the log book shows an engine change to 948cc, it seems to have been changed from Grey colour and engine changed to 948cc in 1971.

Its a mish mash of a car and the purists will hate it but we absolutely love it as does everyone who has seen it so far !

Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

That info I got for our car from this site in the history section so I am just taking it from there.

I don't know the club yet but just as a bit of feedback I have heard from other Morris Minor owners that the club is and I quote "Sniffy" and the last owner found it intimidating because the car isn't how it should be and people just ripped it because it wasn't right as from the 1953 spec

Surely the car is worthwhile ?

If not and its a problem then we will leave the club and do our own thing, we have met people from East Midlands Mog club and were thinking of going to the Mansfield meets and we are near Derby head office and we were going to take it over but if people are just going to just criticise then it puts you off going...

To be honest I feel its better if we just do our own thing rather than having people rip us to bits and intimidate us because the car we bought isn't the same as it was in 1953.

If that's the case then we wont come to any events and we will keep it to ourselves.
Last edited by Stuartandsue on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackers
Minor Friendly

Post by crackers »

Stuartandsue wrote:That info I got for our car from this site, if that's wrong then the site needs updating.

I don't know the club yet but just as a bit of feedback I have heard from other Morris Minor owners that the club is and I quote "Sniffy" and the last owner found it intimidating because the car isn't how it should be and people just ripped it because it wasn't right as from the 1953 spec

Surely the car is worthwhile ?

If not and its a problem then we will leave the club and do our own thing, we have met people from East Midlands Mog club and were thinking of going to the Mansfield meets and we are near Derby head office and we were going to take it over but if people are just going to just criticise then it puts you off going...

To be honest I feel its better if we just do our own thing rather than having people rip us to bits and intimidate us because the car we bought isn't the same as it was in 1953.

If that's the case then we wont come to any events and we will keep it to ourselves.
Just find another club mate. Some clubs like modified, some like original. Just find one that suits you and remember, not all members of a club are alike, you may just have bumped into the wrong ones.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Don't take any notice of them, as far as I am concerned a car is a car. If you want to keep it as original as possible then that is up to you however no one can expect a car of that age to be perfect. And then there are the changes for safeties sake. I have been upset by a few reactions to my posts but I still come on here.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

I really wouldn't worry. The car might not of survived if it wasn't changed. Tho its all within keeping in my opinion. Its your car, you do what you like. If you like it thats all that matters. Its nice seeing completely original cars. But they're not always practical keeping them that way. Things get changed and modified over the years as fashions come and go. At one point nobody would buy the lowlights unless the front was changed. You wouldn't think of doing that these days, but at the time it had to be done. I think it looks great. Looks really tidy. Will be a nice car to do shows and events with. Good luck with it. Don't let people spoil it for you!

Steven
Last edited by greendefender123 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

To be fair, there are a few 'sniffy' members out there, and it's a shame, as it does put people off. As others have said though, the main thing is that you've found a car that you enjoy, so enjoy it! It soesn't really matter what it started out as or became, as long as it works for you. And it sounds like yours is super - you've got the character of an MM, with the driveablility of a later '1000' model. I'd be very happy with that!

Did you post in response to a comment that's been removed, by the way? I didn't see anything that was derogatory about your car mentioned?
Last edited by liammonty on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by busguy »

I'm sorry that you seem a little put off by some of the posts, but perhaps they might have been misinterpreted.
A good number of people have posted helpful advice and information on this post, and one or too have straightforwardly put you on the right track. Very few are 'sniffy', and a few are blunt if you are going down the wrong path, but wouldn't you rather get get advice before you spend your well earned cash.
I personally have no problem with a 1275cc traveller, or a 948 engine where an 803 or 918 once was originally. Many cars have modifications that, and are probably more enjoyable to own than the original.
We're all different, and I hope that you have found the advice and help that you received useful.

If you notice the wording has been changed, it's because my comments were 'moderated'. :-?
Last edited by busguy on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

The club has a policy of supporting owners who like either original or modified minors, there is a register for custom and modified cars. Of course there are always a few who are vociferous over their likes and dislikes as you get in any interest group and the rest of us just take their opinions with a pinch of salt.

In looking at chassis numbers we are mostly concerned with ringed cars. We hope to help newcomers avoid such pitfalls, and obviously we also don't want to see minors stolen and disguised.
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

amgrave wrote:Don't take any notice of them, as far as I am concerned a car is a car. If you want to keep it as original as possible then that is up to you however no one can expect a car of that age to be perfect. And then there are the changes for safeties sake. I have been upset by a few reactions to my posts but I still come on here.
Thanks, for that :D

Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

Thanks for all the replies.

If the weather is good on the days of the meets we are going to take it to our local minor meets,

We met some really nice people from the club at Wollaton Park car show in Notts on Sunday morning then just as we were talking to them and I was looking at a black Morris Minor Moke lowlight with a chrome cheesegrater grille (I think that's what it was but please correct me if I am wrong) anyway we had a phone call and we dashed off to buy the car.

We almost ran to the car park, got in our own car, drove to train station, left our car there, jumped on a train, got a taxi from train station, looked at the car, went for a spin, bought it then drove it home in lovely sunshine over the penine way with the hood down...

It was really nice.

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

^^^^^Agree with Busguy. As far as I'm concerned it's another Morris Minor that's loved and cared and more importantly "on the road" whatever it's "persuasion" :D Only one of my cars has it's original engine. These cars "evolve" through their 60 + years of
life. Yes there are some "purists" on this site who insist their cars stay original, but there are also many more who just use and enjoy theirs which in many cases mean things get "updated" for comfort/safety reasons. Enjoy your new car!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

That makes me feel better thanks for that, we were starting to think we had done something wrong almost...

I will get some original wheels for it for when we take it to local shows so people don't slate it for having Weller wheels on it from the 70's but I love the wheels on it, lovely proper enamelled old English white to match the car....

Will post a pic from the side if anyone is interested..

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Please post up more pictures. Looking forward to seeing some.

Steve
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Stuartandsue wrote:That makes me feel better thanks for that, we were starting to think we had done something wrong almost
May I ask what had made you think that? I can see nothing negative in previous posts directed at yourselves or your new car so am a bit baffled by your comment :-?

I too have a nice white Convertible but as it was neither a Convertible OR white originally I cannot be counted a purist and enjoy owning, driving and looking at all forms of Morris Minor as well as many other makes and models too 8)

I hope you get a great deal of pleasure from your new purchase.
Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

liammonty wrote:To be fair, there are a few 'sniffy' members out there, and it's a shame, as it does put people off. As others have said though, the main thing is that you've found a car that you enjoy, so enjoy it! It soesn't really matter what it started out as or became, as long as it works for you. And it sounds like yours is super - you've got the character of an MM, with the driveablility of a later '1000' model. I'd be very happy with that!

Did you post in response to a comment that's been removed, by the way? I didn't see anything that was derogatory about your car mentioned?

Yes the comment that said we were or might be and I quote "welcome elsewhere" has been removed or edited..
Last edited by Stuartandsue on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

greendefender123 wrote:Please post up more pictures. Looking forward to seeing some.

Steve

OK, no probs.

I would like to know more about it, I am sure people will spot lots of different things on it that a non Minor expert would not notice...

Please don't cringe too much....[frame]Image[/frame]

Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

NSF View[frame]Image[/frame]

Stuartandsue
Minor Friendly

Post by Stuartandsue »

Would suit a darts player ! (See last half of reg number) :D

Someone said the wheels remind them of "Herbie"
Last edited by Stuartandsue on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.