Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sweeny
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Loss of electrical power

Post by Sweeny »

Hi all,

I have my 1968 Traveller that has gone through a complete restoration project. Today I tested the loom and it was all going swimmingly, lights worked, fuel pump etc until I tried to test the start motor (or earth the headlights, I'm not sure if this would cause the issue but its worth mentioning) at which point a total loss of electrical power happened. I have removed all connections to the starter motor to take that out the equation, checked all the fuses, solenoid appears to function correctly (tested with a wire and a bulb!) and have done my best at tracing wires and found no problem. After a few hours of tests Ive got the fuel pump to work (even when, what i believed to be its fuse, was removed!!!! :o ) and the ignition light (faintly, oh so faintly) lights up when I turn the headlight switch on, honestly its a bit spooky! I think it might be an earth leak but wouldn't know where to start, or how it would be caused by trying the starter motor?? Any advice to trace the fault or common issues would be of great help.

Thank you to everyone in advance,

Tom
Nickol
Minor Addict

Re: Loss of electrical power

Post by Nickol »

Complete Restauration?

In that case may I comment that when I replaced the grearbox on mine, the manual warned that the earthing strap had to be well fixed otherwise the electrics would not work.........................
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Sweeny
Minor Friendly

Post by Sweeny »

Yes a complete restoration, I was optimistic thinking she would have 0 electrical problems ;) I have tested every wire of the loom so there is no issue with a broken wire.

You made me question myself there, I have to go out and check I'd fitted that to the cross member, yes that earthing cable is present. Im just perplexed to how it could all 'fail' trying to start the starter motor, is it possible the solenoid could get stuck in the position of starting the start motor?? complete guess :P Is there a known way to trace a fault like this?

Cheers, Tom
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Not easy without being there, even then electric can be a right pain. I'd firstly make sure the battery was fully charged and the terminals clean and tight. Wonder if another starter motor would cure, maybe it's causing a dead short.

Sweeny
Minor Friendly

Post by Sweeny »

Yeah, I fear I'm going to have to take it all off, put the bare essentials on and start building up the loom from there, it will be a pain though... :x

But yes I can confirm I have a fully charged battery (I confess not from a minor but should have the same output), terminals have all been cleaned, I took the starter out of the equation by taking the cable off the solenoid to avoid any shorts. Are there any other fuses that could of blown other than the 2 in the fuse box?

Cheers, Tom
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

There might be an inline fuse in the area around the main fuse box, there is on mine but can't recall if it's a standard item or there for the radio. I think they all have this. Vehicle not with me at the moment.

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I think that's for the head lights
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Long shot but I had something similar when I recommission mine years ago.
Remove the regulator and check the metal straps on the back.
One of mine had melted stopping power getting to the ignition switch.

Sweeny
Minor Friendly

Post by Sweeny »

Well I will check tomorrow and report back in regards to that fuse, thank you all for your help. Could any electrical components be damaged by trying to start the starter motor?

Cheers, Tom
Sweeny
Minor Friendly

Post by Sweeny »

Hi berro,
I will check tomorrow and report back, out of curiosity what could lead to that happening?
Tom
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I presume the wires are on the correct spades?

Sweeny
Minor Friendly

Post by Sweeny »

To the best of my knowledge yes, it was all working like clockwork until I attempted to test the starter motor, so I believe all the wires were correctly positioned, I will take a picture of the fuse box and voltage regulator and post accordingly. Does anyone know the location of all the earths to check they are correct? My only concern is having busted a component having had this system working now it's not. :-?

Cheers, Tom
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I might be missing something here but I presume you have not long fitted the wire loom and was wondering why you are asking does anyone know where all the earth points are. The earth points are where the loom attaches to the bodywork through either a bullet connection or a ring connector using a bolt or screw to fix.

Sweeny
Minor Friendly

Post by Sweeny »

Yes, apologies for the confusion, I have not long fitted the loom. I have consulted the wiring diagram and will begin the painful task of tracing and checking all the wires, will report back with progress soon.

Cheers, Tom
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

My guess it is a poor earth. I had it with my indicators . No bulb , was showing power , bulb fitted , no power. Took me ages to find it.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Big Jim is likely correct. Either that or a poor connection on the battery live side.

It can only be earth leakage if the battery is becoming discharged. Are the battery terminals clean and tight?

The only other item is a faulty battery, I suppose.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

All earth connections are black cables -doesn't matter where they go = anywhere on a clean / paint free portion of the body is fine.
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Sweeny wrote:Hi berro,
I will check tomorrow and report back, out of curiosity what could lead to that happening?
Tom
No idea, mine was off the road 25 years and when I put a battery on her I had no ignition power but had horn and interior lights if I remember correctly.

Sweeny
Minor Friendly

Post by Sweeny »

Well, first things first, apologies for the late update, never enough hours in the day :wink:

Success!!! I have traced the problem to an earthing fault, the old girl has life again!!! With thanks to bcmecosse in another thread suggesting earthing the engine block to the battery with a jump lead, the starter motor now cranks the engine and the ignition system works as intended which makes me assume that the engine isn't being earthed correctly??? Looking for earthing points around the engine the only one I can see that's capable of being the 'main' earthing point is a cable connecting the gearbox housing and the gearbox cross member. Are there any other known earthing points for the engine block other than this cable? :D

Thank you all in advance,

Tom
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

No, that's it, just the gearbox one. I put one on the engine anyway (belt and braces) as I had intermittent starting problems with my MG and a second earth strap cured it.