Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Myfrtle2016
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller rear door locking mechanisms

Post by Myfrtle2016 »

Hello all.
The rear door locking mechanism on my recently aquired Traveller rattles noisily, like many others no doubt. Has anyone tried to replace the mechanisem with bolts plus a mortice type lock removing the need for the long rod which passes through three bored fittings creating rattles, which are also caused by rivited (loose) joints on the mechanism.I realise cars of this age will rattle but I would like to reduce the noise if possible. Anyone have any ideas please? :-?

John Earl
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller rear door locking mechanisms

Post by simmitc »

Where the rods pass through the guides, there should be sprung "levers" pushing the rods against the guides. The springs normally prevent the rattling when the doors are closed and latched. Just wondering if your springs are in place, and whether bending them to get more pressure might help? Also, the top and bottom locating bushes can wear. New ones used to be available, I haven't checked to see if they still are.
Myfrtle2016
Minor Friendly

Post by Myfrtle2016 »

Hello

Thanks for the information. The guides are just basically holes through which the rods pass and therefore rattle. There appears to be some pressure against the guides on the top section of the door but not quite enough. No sign of any springs. The bottom rod has a lot of free play when the door is shut, as does the riveted swivel section despite the rod having been bent into a slight arch. What do you think of taking off the guides and inserting (say) plastic gromets of an appropriate size assuming the springs you mention are not available?

Thanks very much for your interest

John Earl
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Item 8 and 9 in this diagram..they are just spring steel so you could possibly cut out and make your own?

http://www.morrisminor.dk/parts/minor/i ... ns/313.gif

You will most likely find these at the National Rally or someone like Tom Roy may have them..

Taupe
Myfrtle2016
Minor Friendly

Post by Myfrtle2016 »

Hello all and thanks for your replies.

Springs for guides don't seem to be available even at Charles Ware!

By chance I found that fitting cable ties through the guides and tightening them, cutting off the excess to minimise appearance, reduces the rattles problem significantly.

Hope this is of use to others with this problem.

Thanks again
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Thanks for the tip, mine does the same at certain speeds.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

The doors on my traveller were a bit loose and I noticed the top bolt was a bit bent inwards where it poked up above the door. Slipped a ring spanner over it and eased it back, doors nice and tight and leak free now :)