Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
convertibled
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Marina 1.3 oil pressure take off

Post by convertibled »

I do have another problem as I can't find the oil pressure switch take off on the block. Mine is a 1.3 Marina engine with the screw on oil canister where the pressure switch is normally positioned. I think it might be on the exhaust side of the block as there is a plug I haven't investigated yet.There is a very small plug just under the relief valve but that would foul the starter motor.
Any ideas?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Marina 1.3 oil pressure take off

Post by bmcecosse »

The switch is round there - near the canister filter - and very hard to get at.... Not the best of designs. It's definitely NOT on the exhaust side! There should be a wire going to switch....follow it. Or - has someone taken the switch off and put a plug in instead?
ImageImage
GreenGiant57
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by GreenGiant57 »

Hi. I have a Marina 1275 engine and the oil pressure gauge take off on mine is a tapped boss, pointing downwards and beneath the oil filter housing on the engine block. Bit of a sod to get to though!

convertibled
Minor Friendly

Post by convertibled »

Thanks for the quick replies. It must be the small port near the starter motor then. That will be a real pain as I wanted to fit an oil pressure gauge!
I will try to post a picture
convertibled
Minor Friendly

Post by convertibled »

When I stuck my camera down the side of the engine I found another port!
I assume it's the port just under the screw on oil filter housing pointing down at an angle?[frame]Image[/frame]
convertibled
Minor Friendly

Post by convertibled »

A better picture[frame]Image[/frame]
GreenGiant57
Minor Addict

Post by GreenGiant57 »

Yes. That's the port that my connection screws into.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Difficult to fit a T there - if you still want the warning light and a gauge - you may need to fit the T behind the gauge - and wire the light to a pressure switch fitted there.
ImageImage
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

You will find that if you fit a T direct to the block you will not be able to fit the starter motor. Remote mounting the T, if you require an oil light and gauge, worked for me.

chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Is there scope perhaps to screw the T piece into the back of the oil pressure gauge, then fit the sender to the T piece and the pipe to the adapter and into the relevant port?
Have I missed something obvious there? (Which wouldn't be the first time :D).
Interested as I have a Marina 1275 to fit to mine.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's what I suggested 2 posts earlier.......
ImageImage
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

Ah...
convertibled
Minor Friendly

Post by convertibled »

As I had the sender I fitted it on a tee behind the gauge as you suggested. It works fine and it's good to have the oil pressure light working as well.
Thanks for all the advice.
Spikesdriver
Minor Friendly

Post by Spikesdriver »

Chaps
I have the same problem as mentioned originally but can't seem to solve the problem so easily as suggested.
I have the 1300 Marina block and I want to use my oil pressure guage and oil pressure warning light switch. I used a T piece on my original 1098 with no problem as there is plenty of room to put the T into the block. On the Marina block there is not enough room because of the starter motor.
I can fit my T onto the back of the gauge and then put the switch into the T, but the pipe connection needs a straight thread and the one on the T (that originally went into the block) is tapered. I have been unable to solve the riddle. I need a T with a tapered female for the switch, a straight male for the pipe connection and a straight female to connect to the gauge. Are they available?
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

What you could do is to fit a remote union.
Just to give you an idea on how the problem could be solved.

Below you can see such unions that I make for the MG T-Series/MGA and MGB. These cars only have a pressure gauge. It replaces the original union (which you don't have on the Moggy) which is mounted on the bulkhead and contains a pressure switch. The threads on my unions are 1/8" BSPP and have a 60° cone. The pressure switch is a standard pressure switch which closes when the pressure has been reached. I also have a relay module which self latches when the pressure is reached and switches a buzzer into the circuit. If the oil pressure then goes low the warning light comes on and also the buzzer. Both stay on until the ignition is switched off which resets the system. I have my own PCB's for the circuit (fail safe!)
You can buy thin 1/8"copper pipe, cones, olives and all sorts of fittings from Paul Beck vintage supplies to make up the piping.
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produ ... ipe-nipple

Regards
Declan

My union[frame]Image[/frame]
Original union on the bulkhead[frame]Image[/frame]
Original union replaced by my union[frame]Image[/frame]
PCB[frame]Image[/frame]
The whole set up as a kit for the MG's[frame]Image[/frame]

Regards
Declan
minortech
Minor Friendly

Post by minortech »

I had a T piece on a 1300 Ital block. It was a tight fit but bending the terminal slightly on the pressure switch allowed you to get the wire between the starter and the block. Just about to transfer that T piece on to my current Marina engine. Do I need to drain the oil before removing the switch?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Bending the male terminal away from the starter motor body and using an insulated female connector allows the oil pressure switch to be fitted to the 'T' piece.
You can change the oil pressure switch 'T' piece without draining the oil though you might get a small amount of residual oil from the oil gallery but nothing to worry about.