Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Spikesdriver
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Hazard flashers

Post by Spikesdriver »

I have a push-pull Hella switch with three spade connectors on the reverse. I would like to fit hazard flashers to my 1971 van and wonder if anyone has done so and could supply a wiring diagram. I know various kits are available but I wondered if I could use the Hella switch.
Thanks
Tom
neilmorey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hazard flashers

Post by neilmorey »

I spent ages trying to figure out how to wire up a modern Savage switch for hazards and in the end gave up. I'm sure it would be possible to use the Hella switch but it will probably involve a new flasher unit and it may involve adding diodes to prevent current feeding back unintentionally. The Morris flasher is rated 2x 21w + 5w for the telltale light, you need to have a flasher rated at 4x21w +5w to run hazards.

Holden have some very handy wiring diagrams on their site but I struggled to figure how to make a modern switch work with the Morris wiring. Just scroll down the page to find appropriate circuit.

https://www.holden.co.uk/wiringDiagrams.asp

In the end I used the kit available from various places at vastly differing prices and of differing quality switch, this is very simple to install. Example below. This has 6 connections.

http://www.classic-car-accessories.co.u ... CLS16.html

Sorry I didn't answer your question but in the end I gave up as it wasn't a simple process.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Search for posts with Hazard as we've covered this in some detail before. In a nutshell you won;r do it with just that switch; and the simplest thing is to buy a kit, readily available. It might go against the grain, but in the long run the kit will be cheaper, neaster and more reliable than any home made concoction.
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

As Simitc says you wont do it with that switch, most kit switches have 5 terminals. You could use an MGB switch and diagram but you would end up with a large rocker switch that would not suit a Minor and those switches can be troublesome.

Spikesdriver
Minor Friendly

Post by Spikesdriver »

thanks for all your helpful comments.
Tom