Genuine convertible?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GrahamSussex
MMOC Member: Yes

Genuine convertible?

Post by GrahamSussex »

I have been offered what is stated to be a genuine factory convertible but the chassis number starts with MTAT.

I think this means that it is not a genuine convertible but can anyone confirm?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Genuine convertible?

Post by ManyMinors »

It doesn't mean anything if that is really how it is stamped. Genuine convertibles from about 1959 onwards were prefixed "MAT" but anybody can purchase a blank chassis plate and have it stamped with whatever they like. You need to see the V5 registration document AND have a proper look at the numbers stamped into the car body itself AND have a good look at the welds attaching the additional strengthening plates to see if they are factory spot welds or later plug welds, tack welds or similar. When I bought mine I looked at a few converted saloons which were attached to "genuine" chassis plates & registration documents so you DO need to do some checks.
A good quick check is to look inside the boot to see if the signs are still there where a saloon roof and headlining were once attached.
GrahamSussex

Post by GrahamSussex »

Thanks 'Many Minors'. The prefix is shown in the V5. The plate under the bonnet is not readable but where else would the number be stamped?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It depends on the age of the car in question. Until about 1965 the chassis number (probably 6 or 7 digits) should be stamped into the bulkhead fairly close to the screwed on plate. After that, it was stamped into the drivers front floor pan. If you use the search facility on here you should find more information - it has been gone over many times before.
I wouldn't consider buying such a car if the chassis plate is not readable. You need to compare it with that on the V5 document - although the prefix of that would seem to have been recorded incorrectly from what you've said so far........
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

A foolproof way of checking a convertible bodyshell, regardless of how well the strengthening panels have been welded on:
Open the boot and feel along the underside of the lip behind the back shelf where the saloon roof would be spot welded on. If you can feel a line of bumps, ie spotwelds then that bodyshell started life as a saloon. If its smooth its never had a roof welded on. Never found one that's been faked to that detail....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

You may also find Body No and Chassis No on the NMP plate under the NS bumper stanching on the tie plate, unless this has been replaced or rotted away.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

firedrake1942 wrote:You may also find Body No and Chassis No on the NMP plate under the NS bumper stanching on the tie plate, unless this has been replaced or rotted away.
The NMP plate, if present, will show the body number. It will not show the chassis number, which is completely different.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Many Minors.

There are two numbers on the NMP plate. I was under the impression one was body number and the other chassis. Can you clarify please

Ta muchly

JM
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

One is the body type - a code starting with a "Z" which tells you the type of body. The other is the body number - issued numerically but a DIFFERENT number to the chassis number. If you have a look at your own Minor (or any other), the chassis number will not be present on the NMP plate. The numbers on the NMP (Nuffield Metal Products) plate are the same found on the small strips of steel generally screwed along the top of the bulkhead, under the bonnet, on the RH side. The opposite side to the chassis plate.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Thanks, if I ever manage to get a reproduction NMP plate I know what to stamp in. Now to find one. I think Taupe was the only one to have fabricated them !!!!
dschwartz1957
Minor Friendly

Post by dschwartz1957 »

I just bought a 1950 Tourer and am trying to determine if this is a genuine convertible. Details are:

- Firewall plate is a reproduction and is stamped with "Car No SMM / 42350"
- Has a later 948 engine (9M-U-98803)
- Cheese grater grill
- High, wing mounted headlights
- Left hand drive (could it be a US export car?)

There is an NMP plate on the firewall under the battery. Acid may have dripped down and the numbers are difficult to read. Attached is a photo. The left hand side has a number ending in "-7". Are the digits preceding the "-7" the actual car number?

Thank you,

David Schwartz
Framingham, Massachusetts (near Boston)
NMP-Firewall-Plate.jpg
NMP-Firewall-Plate.jpg (4.03 MiB) Viewed 5041 times
809594537.jpg
809594537.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
1950 Morris Minor Tourer
1968 Morris Mini Traveller
1962 MGA 1600 Mk2
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Contemporary lowlight MM 2drs still on Z9838/9 when Tourers were hitting 6 digits.

Obviously x-member has received a "modification" to accept the "A Series" engine.
Strange why wrong screws used on NMP plate, but second box should contain (I think it's visible) a raised "T", which denotes....eerrr Tourer

Should also have an additional plate at the (as LHD) of the firewall..."BMT".

Check the chassis/VIN number stamped into the bodyshell, should match the "Title docs".
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
dschwartz1957
Minor Friendly

Post by dschwartz1957 »

Where on the body shell is the chassis number / VIN stamped?

Thanks,

David
1950 Morris Minor Tourer
1962 MGA 1600 Mk2
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Vary on export MM's

Usually on the firewall SE of the bonnet release rod exit hole, OR on the x-member behind the osf shock absorber - will see last few digits.

Body numbers were applied PRIOR to final coat, chassis numbers AFTERWARDS, therefore, stamped chassis shouldn't be obscured by paint.
dschwartz1957
Minor Friendly

Post by dschwartz1957 »

Pardon my ignorance. For a left hand drive car which side is OSF (off side front shock absorber)? Do you mean driver or passenger.
1950 Morris Minor Tourer
1962 MGA 1600 Mk2
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

dschwartz1957 wrote:Pardon my ignorance. For a left hand drive car which side is OSF (off side front shock absorber)? Do you mean driver or passenger.
UK = N/S nearest to curb.
O/S (outside) furthest

LHD = opposite of above

Standing in front of the car, left shock absorber
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

POMMReg wrote:
Standing in front of the car, left shock absorber
Which, in Universal language is the RH shock absorber of course :roll:
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Indeed, general engineering convention states that Left hand side and Right hand side are taken as being sat in the car, in the normal direction of travel which negates any confusion (in theory) of off side and near side.
May not remember much from HND days but that was one thing...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Have a '60s book which has an illustration of a bloke standing in front of a car indicating Lefthand & Right-hand!

Google "Morris Minor Chassis Number" one of the images will display it's location...left-hand/Offside bulkhead.

Anyone else notice the excess usage of "of" in modern day speech..."swept off of my feet" et al
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'd have thought, If the car is right hand drive, the steering wheel tells you that's the right side.
Chris, not seen much use of of! Have noticed the use of 'So' to start a sentence. What's that all about? While I'm here, another thing why is 'you guys' used to describe both sexes? Is it ok now to say for example----- I saw a guy walking down the street, she appeared to be in a hurry? :roll: