Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
XDB
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Old Chestnut

Post by XDB »

I have got a feeling this is an old chestnut, but what are the thoughts of you guys on the breather arrangements for the 1098cc engine I am reconditioning. At present there is a pipe and a cannister attached coming from the front tappet chest cover. I take it the canister is some sort of trap. There have been issues with it in the past because it has been cut and welded up. It appears cruddy inside. Can I do away with this. I know that it is important to get the breathing right to avoid oil being pushed past the rear crank scroll ( what a useless invention by the way)

Finally I am pricing new parts, standard piston rings vary in price, some being almost twice as expensive as others. does anyone know whether they are twice as good or are the cheap ones ok. Thanks in anticipation.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Do away with it how? You can't just seal the tappet cover up,and if you just leave it as a hole without the trap, you're spreading oily fumes around the engine bay. Some models just had a pipe venting the fumes down to the underside - might be worth hunting one of those down
a
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Stay with the 'trap' - if you can't clean it by flushing paraffin through it (OFF the car!) - then consider setting it on fire. This burns out all the gunk - of course it will need re-painting.
ImageImage
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

what exactly is inside the trap, and what is it for?
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

I have used the burning method on oil filled air cleaners in the past
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

AFAIK, it's a load of steel wool, and the idea (I think) is to give a greater suface area for the oil in the fumes to stick to
a
Last edited by bigginger on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

Thanks Andrew, like your blog.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Why thank you - I just wish there was more to write about, but lack of cash prevents me from doing the more interesting jobs. I'll get there... :D
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

standard piston rings
Are you having a rebore? If not then fit Cord rings as they are stepped to acount for bore wear
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

what exactly is inside the trap, and what is it for?
Just done this on a v8 engine - its called a flame trap - presumably to stop ignition of fumes.

The PERFECT replacement for whats inside are the stainless steel scourers you can get in Lidle & pound shops etc.
NOT wire wool (wire wool believe it or not is flamable!) but the ones made of strands 2-3mm accross.
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

Are you having a rebore? If not then fit Cord rings as they are stepped to acount for bore wear

where will I get these from
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Dunno if 'Cords' still exist. Sometimes see them on ebay.
ImageImage
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

cannot find any cord rings, there isn't a lip at the top of bore anyway, so I have ordered ordinary rings from ESM.

What's the chance of a water pump, which has stood dry for a number of years still being ok?
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

What's the chance of a water pump, which has stood dry for a number of years still being ok?
No problem. Just give it a spin by hand to make sure it isn't seized. Not much to go wrong with the water pump.
[img]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/Ghostrider117/sig.jpg[/img]
http://www.freewebs.com/moggytech
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

My engine stripped down waiting cleaning and the arrival of spare parts[/img]Image
Last edited by XDB on Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

My engine stripped down waiting cleaning and the arrival of spare parts[/img]Image
dave1949
Minor Fan

Post by dave1949 »

My engine stripped down waiting cleaning and the arrival of spare parts[/img]
Must be very special to deserve a RED carpet :wink:
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

Must be very special to deserve a RED carpet
It's only been nominated, no awards yet. Over the years, I have done engine jobs, Top ends, and replacing shell bearings with the engine in situ. This is the first time I have done a complete engine, its good to know I have a wealth of experience and good advice readily available and willingly given by members of this forum, thank you.
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

On the engine the little alloy plate has the numbers RKM1122E stamped on with the letter C underneath does anyone know what this means please?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Water pump carbon seal can be damaged if it's seating has gone rusty - which is one of the reasons we are urged to keep anti-freeze in the car all year round. The pump will either work - or leak ! You will soon find out. Even though there is no obvious 'lip' on the bores - you should glaze-bust the bores (either by hand making a 45 degreee cross hatch pattern with wet/dry paper - or with a hone tool in leccy drill) , and just gently rub away/blend any wear marks at the bore tops with 600 grit paper and paraffin. And of course - carefully inspect and measure the crankshaft journals to decide if it needs a regrind. New oil pump and timing chain(and tensioner rings) are necessary - and inspect the cam followers and throw any with pits or crazing - although usually they are ok on standard engines.
ImageImage