Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MattRuch
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Question on Rack and Pinion Maintenance

Post by MattRuch »

I have some questions on lubricating the steering rack on my 69 saloon. I'm going to refer to certain pages of the Haynes Manual.

Is the Rack and Pinion Maintenance information on page 145 illustrated by the diagram on page 151?

The text on page 145 references a nipple that needs greasing with a grease gun filled with EP 90 or Hypoy oil. Is this a standard looking grease zerk-type fitting?

Bear with me as I will probably have a follow up question or two on this...

Thank you
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

It's normally easier just to undo the nipple and squirt the oil in with a can.

Either that or (as I do) just use grease in the rack, although not everyone would agree with me on that one.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
MattRuch
Minor Fan

Post by MattRuch »

Chris-do you have a Haynes manual on hand?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I've tried removing the grease nipple and squirting oil in but it just squirts straight out again. Can you fill a grease gun with oil and will it still work on the grease nipple?
I'm a bit concerned that my Series MM steering feels a lot heavier than my Traveller despite the Traveller having wide wheels
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Yes you can - I have one gun for grease and one for oil but you can buy cartridges so you don't have to get too messy....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But ALL other steering racks are speced for grease - including the identical designed (just slightly smaller) Mini rack. Use grease - it doesn't run out. If the steering is heavy - it will be seized up king pins - to check, take the track rod ends off and feel if the assembly swivels easily. If not - grease them - in fact just grease them anyway!
ImageImage
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

I couldn't get any oil in through this opening either, after replacing a gaitor, so I squirted it in by slipping my oil can spout inside the gaitor at the wide end. You will have to remove the clip first, and probably replace it with new.
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

bmcecosse wrote:But ALL other steering racks are speced for grease - including the identical designed (just slightly smaller) Mini rack. Use grease - it doesn't run out. If the steering is heavy - it will be seized up king pins - to check, take the track rod ends off and feel if the assembly swivels easily. If not - grease them - in fact just grease them anyway!
Agreed, they often feel nicer when greased if there is any wear. I think they might have specified oil to keep the steering as light as possible, that's my theory anyway.