Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Paint gun troubles

Post by Sidney'61 »

It seems may electric spray gun seems to have packed up, the compressor is still working fine but the trigger mechanism on the gun has broken.
As the compressor is still working fine I don't want to (and can't afford to) go out and buy a whole new compressor and gun package, however, I cant find the right gun to match...
The air inlet on my broken gun comes from a hose about 1" wide and all of the others I've seen on the market seem have a 1/4" inlet. Does anyone know where I can get a gun to fit?
The make of the compressor is Apollo if that helps

Thanks
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Inlet hose an inch wide - are you sure about that? Haven't seen one that size myself
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I'll try and post some pics at the weekend
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Cool - might be an idea to measure it as well :D If it's a standard size, there are bound to be adapters to the more usual hose size, I'd have thought
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Andy,

the Apollo has been around for a while, why not contact them to see if you can get spares for the gun or even just a replacement gun. It is not a 'normal' spray gun in the sense it works on very (relatively) high volume of air so you are unlikely to find a suitable replacement gun at the usual paint factors\motor factors etc.

Alec

PS. Just had a quick Google, http://www.sprayequipment.co.uk/apollo.htm
alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

The guns seem to turn up quite frequently at car boot sales, and sell for peanuts.....of course having said that I won't see one again for months!
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

I used to have an Apollo, when it was misplaced I looked at the replacement costs & found that "Earlex" manufacture a system very similar, only less cost. So if you can't source Apollo guns it may be worth looking at them instead. My Earlex (made in ENGLAND-gasp) sprays celloluse a treat, far less overspray than conventional compressor set-ups, and was even listed in Argos for a while. Priced around £80 complete, its a very economical setup for small scale paint work!
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thankyou guys, I'll have a look at earlex later and also I'll have a look for one at beaulieu in a few weeks, till then I'll try and get the old one working!

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Hi Andy, you might get a very good "show price" offer from Beaulieu. Take your walking shoes and dont buy the first one you see but remember where you saw it as the show's massive. I've spent literally hours trying to find a stand again. Take it's number!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

Machine Mart do a gun for just over £30, it fitted my appollo

WDACC18 Combi-Spray Gun