Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
themadmoggy1965
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Amount of Vinyl Required!?!

Post by themadmoggy1965 »

Hi All,

Just a quick one...I'm sure Lou will be able to help me on this one...or I'm hoping so :wink: I am going to have a go at making replacement seat covers for my little morris. Does anyone know how many metres I will need? Apart from "alot" :lol:

Thanks in advance...

Lisa

P.S I did say have a go :roll:
[sig]6232[/sig]
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I PMed Lou about this a few moths back and to save her typing anything out again this is what she said..

'I've made the interiors for 3 MM's so far - as it happens all 4 drs but all v. different. 56 split screen (older v. shaped seats) 1961 duotone and a 1970 but with Metro front seats with headrests!

I worked out that it will take roughly 9 metres of vinyl (150 cm wide) to recover. This covers making the seats both front and back and all the little bits around seats, together with the door cards and scuttle panels (by your ankle). The amount doesn't really change if your doing a two door as you still have to recover the back side panels under rear side window.

I got the material from Fancy Silk store which is situated at the rear of Birmingham Market (opp St. Martin's Church (Bullring) by where all the buses stop. They keep about 20-30 different colours in stock (2nd Floor - I think)! It's v. heavy to lug home but I have done it (take a car - its worth the parking charge as on a bus its too bulky!!!

I found that I could have the piping made up for me at about £1.20p per metre from Autotrim (Rednal) 0121 453 7518 - Mr Russell. I rang him up and said what colour I wanted - he suggested if you are trying to get the same colour to drop him a bit of vinyl or if your contrasting (like I was) which colour did I want - I've done dark green/cream piping - cream with navy blue piping and cream with dark green piping. He takes about 3/4 days and it arrives by post!

I used a 1950's electric machine (metal housing and a quite large needle in the machine witha medium length stitch.)

As far as patterns - I unpicked one seat and used the old seats pieces as a pattern for the new using only the turnings they allowed for in the original ones otherwise the new seats will be too big.

For door cards, if your hardboard is ok use that - carefully strip of old and draw round them as a pattern. I used a 6mm stapler. Stretch vinyl over new doorcard all round - pegs help hold in place and do a north south east west with the stapler, carefully folding it over as you go.If hardboard too old but new hardboard and draw round old shape and cut out with sharp knife.

Hope this helps. PM me if you want more info. and good luck!

Kind regards,

Lou. '
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

themadmoggy1965
Minor Friendly

Brilliant...thanks for that Andy. Lou did explain it to me yeasterday but I forgot to ask how much material I would need. I was talking to Rich last night about your great mog. We think your mum and dad should borrow one of your fleet when you pass your test and join us all on the many events. It was great to meet you and your family. Good day was had by all I think. :D
[sig]6232[/sig]
motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

Just a point I'd like to add(no pun intended) make sure your needles are man enough, standard one's will break easily, also if you want material or piping(all types) down sowth! http://www.polyfacto.co.uk/
There other things I could advise but It'll be easier to PM me.

James

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Now added to my list of "where to buy the bits from list" Aren't we going to be busy over the winter!! :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

themadmoggy1965 wrote:We think your mum and dad should borrow one of your fleet when you pass your test and join us all on the many events.
Or they could buy their own :wink: :)

As I'll be driving the modified one (emily) as my everyday car I'll proably drive the standard car (Sidney) to shows so mum and dad can borrow emily, then driving to shows will feel a bit more special and a bit different to everyday driving for all of us.
I promise I'll get my test passed soon! and hopefully getting Sidney back on the road will follow shortly after!

It was great to see you all at the rally and great to see that your kids are already interested in minors! Perhaps we'll see them in a few years driving their own minors to rallys with you :wink:

oh, and good luck with making those seat covers..
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Just a point I'd like to add(no pun intended) make sure your needles are man enough

I'll second that. Your average sewing machine won't cope and doing it by hand is very hard work. I did a gearstick gaitor once - that was enough; the next one I stapled!
If you do find a method that works please let me know - I have a rear seat cover from a Rover that i want to fit to Albert so it matches the front seats.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
themadmoggy1965
Minor Friendly

Thanks everyone for tips and contacts. I'll definitely be seeking help from you all. I'll need to find me a manly needle...wonder if my hubby "PSL184" is up to it!!! ha ha. He can stick to the mechanics I think. Good point though I'm not sure the needles I have are up to the job. Will a leather needle do?...can you buy a singer trestle table sewing machine needle for leather!?!?! :-? The plot gets thicker :o :roll: :-?

P.S Andy good plan....get your mum and dad to buy their own...you'll definitely have a fleet then. And it's not as if they don't no how to work on them. :wink: :lol:
[sig]6232[/sig]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Yep a leather should do the trick. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

You need a industrial sewing machine needle.
Peetee, the back seat should be a lot easier to replace with the other cover.

James

alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

motherofgod wrote:You need a industrial sewing machine needle.
Will one of those work in a home sewing machine? I have an old (probably 1950s) Jones CBD machine with an electric motor attachment! :oops: :D
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

Not sure to be honest, depending on you needle fitment

sorry

James
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

And just to remind you all the answers on this thread have been provided by

Lou and Andy

motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

computor says no!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

:lol: Love it!

I used a leather needle (well probably more than one) in a 1950's metal bodied electric sewing machine. It does work, it just takes a bit of time and patience. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

'yer I know!

icemanste
Minor Friendly

Post by icemanste »

Hi

anyone give me prices or someone that will do the seats for me i am in liverpool was looking at cream with a blue pipe may be last place let me down dont mind sending the covers off so they will be made the same.

Thanks

oh and i need some spare as i am going to do the door cards and foot wells rear quater also

Ta

Steve
[sig]9134[/sig]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I believe there's someone in the Dorset Branch that makes seat covers. Suggest you contact their secretary laurieblewer at supanet dot com who should be able to give you his details. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
icemanste
Minor Friendly

Post by icemanste »

Thanks

Any others will be helpfull

Ta

Steve
[sig]9134[/sig]
2dogs17500