Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
honda90
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1275 Head

Post by honda90 »

Are the 1275 heads from mg midget the same as the ones on 1275 ital A+. My present head on my minor with 1275 A+ engine has a leaking exhaust valve, someone near me has a nearly new unleaded mg head for £70 they look the same just wanted to check.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

In terms of fitting there is no difference. The only thing you need to check is if there is a bypass hose below the thermostat. Technically there are two varieties of 12G940 - the difference being in the valve sizes. The larger valve head was fitted to the MG metro (not turbo) and (if I remember correctly) later A+ engines.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
glyna2006
Minor Friendly

Post by glyna2006 »

the engine if its A+ you have in your car is probably a marina with the oil filte facing up,if that is so its the same as ital the maestro's also had these heads in unleaded form..regards glyn
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 'unleaded' MG heads do NOT have the larger inlet valve - only the earlier 'leaded' heads had that larger inlet valve size. So yes - that head will fit (if no bypass then that's a bonus!) - it's up to you to check if it really IS unleaded, and if it's worth £70 ??
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

bmcecosse wrote:The 'unleaded' MG heads do NOT have the larger inlet valve - only the earlier 'leaded' heads had that larger inlet valve size. So yes - that head will fit (if no bypass then that's a bonus!) - it's up to you to check if it really IS unleaded, and if it's worth £70 ??
Certainly sounds a bit pricey, mine was less than half that from a breaker, and unleaded. Guess it's local supply and demand though!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Not for me to say - who knows - there may be a rule about it!
ImageImage
glyna2006
Minor Friendly

Post by glyna2006 »

25 quid i paid for maestro one it had the ron95 sticker on slam panel...only thing i took it off my self and it is still in my shed the unleded heads have hardened inserts if u put a file to the inserts they don't mark,a lot are stellite steel.Slightly smaller inlrtt valves on this head compared to the mg metro one ,I've run my convertible for the last 10 years using only addative but don't do big milage,i checked tappets the other day and not one has gone tight so no ressecion...rgards glyn
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You don't even need additives - unless doing long hard miles.
ImageImage
glyna2006
Minor Friendly

Post by glyna2006 »

what about to Malta? but would loose my big valve head 1800 miles one way...
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I would class driving to Malta as 'long hard miles' !
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Certainly sounds a bit pricey, mine was less than half that from a breaker, and unleaded.
This has gone a little astray as John was asking about the Midget head against an A+ head.
Well according to my books all the Marina, Ital A+ & Midgets have the same size valves.
Inlet 1.307" to 1.312" (33.198 to 33.21 mm)
Exhaust 1.1515" to 1.1565" (29.243 to 29.373 mm)
And if the Midget one is unleaded it will have been converted as they were not produced unleaded, as for the price Midget heads do go for more money and as its nearly new that doesnt seem to bad as they are much dearer than that when reconditioned.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There's no logic for 'Midget' heads going for more money - but I dare say it's true! They are indeed the same head as many others.
ImageImage
XDB
Minor Fan

Post by XDB »

I have been looking for a 12g940 for ages, I found one on ebay local to me its off a 1275 metro without the bypass hose spigot. The price is £40 for a bare head no valves or springs. I think its a bit pricey so I will have to carry on looking.

I am a bit puzzled about the by pass hose I know either a head can be fitted, but which is best? with or without.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

For me - without! It's something less NOT to go wrong. And - it gives very much quicker heater response on starting from cold. Rover eliminated for a good reason.
ImageImage
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

what's the advantages of a 1275cc head?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Bigger valves, better combustion chamber shape (much less 'masking' of the valve heads) and much better air flow through the larger ports and throats. The chamber volume is also smaller, rsulting in higher Comp Ratio without need for skimming. Effectively it is a 'Stage 3' head for a 1098 engine - 'Stage 4' for a 948!
ImageImage