I've a new moggie and don't know where to start!!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ani
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ani »

I was wondering how to find any moggie enthusiasts in my area i.e. Farnham/Aldershot. Recently purchased a 1971 Morris Minor Pickup. Its been running ok till today and for some reason it keep stalling and doesn't want to start. The only think I've done is to fill up with unleaded petrol - could that be the problem! I wouldn't really think so. Anyway I've uploaded a picture so you can understand why I bought her!!! I'd be really grateful for any guidance anyone might be able to give me. There is quite a lot of work to be done on this and just maybe I should have got someone to look her over before I parted with the cash :cry:
Look forward to hearing from anyone. Ani<br>Image<br>
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

ani - it will be the carb piston that is sticking which causes your car to stall each time to come to a stop. You will need to take the top off the carb and clean out all the bits you end up with in your hand. Just be careful not to bend the needle. Get hold of a workshop manual so you know what to look for. If you send a pm to "bmcecosse" he will send a link where you can download one from....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Wow - that was quick and thanks I'll try that tomorrow. How do I send a pm to bmcecosse - sorry to appear dim! (I'm not blond) I've already got the workshop manual - wish I was a mechanic :P Ani

toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

ani from one pick owner to another welcome and I can see why you bought the pick up love it
[sig]8906[/sig]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

LOVE IT!!! Let me know if you ever get rid....

toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

If you go to your profile and let us know your area someone may live near you and offer help, that goes for me same as dan if your ever selling
[sig]8906[/sig]
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

I do...... sell it to me :lol: :lol: nice looking pick up that :wink:

Mal
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Thankyou guys - I wish you were all closer. It doesn't look quite so good in the flesh- much bodywork to tidy up and probably lots more. I saw it advertised in Darlington and immediately fell in love with it, caught the train there and drove her back in the snow!! I'm probably a little mad. I've updated my profile which should show my location as Farnham/Aldershot - just maybe there will be a few local Minor lovers who might look her over for me ...... :P I will certainly let you all know if I decide to sell her. I like this site :o
toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

to far for me but bet someone will be near you lots of morris owners on that southcoast
[sig]8906[/sig]
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Wow what a fantastic looking pickup - wait a minute - isn;t really two park benches facing each other with a cover inbetween?
]
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Cheeky :)

Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

stag36587 wrote:Wow what a fantastic looking pickup - wait a minute - isn't really two park benches facing each other with a cover in between?
Cool place for a picnic then!
moggiemadman
Minor Fan

Post by moggiemadman »

this was on ebay a while ago i was bidding on it and got outbid? out of interest what did you pay for it?
eveline
Minor Fan

Re: I've a new moggie and don't know where to start!!

Post by eveline »

ani wrote:I was wondering how to find any moggie enthusiasts in my area i.e. Farnham/Aldershot. Recently purchased a 1971 Morris Minor Pickup. Its been running ok till today and for some reason it keep stalling and doesn't want to start. The only think I've done is to fill up with unleaded petrol - could that be the problem! I wouldn't really think so. Anyway I've uploaded a picture so you can understand why I bought her!!! I'd be really grateful for any guidance anyone might be able to give me. There is quite a lot of work to be done on this and just maybe I should have got someone to look her over before I parted with the cash :cry:
Look forward to hearing from anyone. Ani<br>Image<br>
i love your pick up .
[sig]9124[/sig]
mal
Minor Addict

Post by mal »

I saw it advertised in Darlington and immediately fell in love with it,
How long ago was this ani ?? I've never seen that one around and I only live 9 mile from Darlo.....

Mal
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

I bought it in December - during the freeeeezing cold weather. Took a train to Darlington and then drove it back 275 miles!!!! I suppose there can't be too much wrong with it having done the journey without incident :-) Wish it had a better heater!

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

was it ticking over slowley before it started playing up does it have standuard engine
[sig]5641[/sig]
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Wasn't aware of a slow tick over - I've just increased the idle to see if that makes a difference. (thanks to bmcecosse) The problem is only there when its warm - cuts out and then is almost impossible to get started again - until its cooled down. Maybe it builds up too much fuel in the carb which is making starting difficult. I'm making all this up as I go cos I know next to nothing about car engines :roll: I expect you'll all get fed up with the newbe's questions. If I can't find a Minor expert locally I expect I'll have to grab a mechanic from sonewhere !<br>Image<br>
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Increasing the tickover will only mask the problem if the carb piston is sticking... You will reach the point where the engne ticks over at about 2000rpm !!!! It only happens when warm because you have the choke out when the engine is cold. Sounds like your engine needs a good service anyway. I'm sure Roy has sent you alink to the worshop manual so work through the service items one at a time. Its an easy engine to work on and you wil learn as you go along. There is nothing wrong with your truck but all cars need the basic routine servicing completing on them or they stop working :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Thank you so much - that sounds like good advice. I'll start looking at the manual this evening. Hope I've got the necessary tools :-)