Advertising standards

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jimbo1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Advertising standards

Post by jimbo1 »

:wink: It occurred to me at breakfast time this morning that a company can get away with anything if the concept is crazy enough! Are shreddies really knitted by Nannas? If the adverts and information on the box are to be believed then they clearly are!!! However I do seem to remember a tv advert for a car that merely whispered quietly as it went by (was it rover?) - the company got seriously slagged off and the ad had to be withdrawn.
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

new cars can also fly and dance if the ads are to be believed :lol:
[sig]7538[/sig]
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

A nissan quasqui (however its spelled) can also be used as a skateboard, a citreon C4 is a transformer, and all toyotas are the same car just with a different sheet over the top.

oh, and dont forget, red bull gives you wings!
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Mick_Anik
Minor Fan

Post by Mick_Anik »

Along the same lines, although not to do with motoring......I saw an ad yesterday, one of these 'buy our pills' things. The producers had the 'expert' talking to a lady who looked just like a news presenter, behind her desk and laptop, and the whole thing was filmed in a setting that looked incredibly like the morning news studio on the same channel.
The idea presumably being to make the viewer think it is in fact a news item.
They have no shame, these people!

paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

No, whats more incredible is when they think someone SHOUTING at you about either cleaning products or Double glazing is going to work!

Now I must go and wash my Safeguard windows with Cilit Bang ;)
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

Sidney'61 wrote:A nissan quasqui (however its spelled) can also be used as a skateboard, a citreon C4 is a transformer, and all toyotas are the same car just with a different sheet over the top.

oh, and dont forget, red bull gives you wings!
Car adverts are often total nonsense. Either that or I am missing something. None of them say anything that would make me want to buy the car. They rarely say anything tangible; often it seems to be a car being driven, in slow motion, past a load of people, who look as if they are stoned.

Back in the 1970s, BL did an advert where two convicts were reflecting on the fact that if they had been in a TR7 or a Dolomite Sprint, they might not have been caught. There are those who might have disagreed with them but at least the implication was that the two cars were fast, which as performance cars, you would expect. I seem to remember the Mini Metro was originally advertised as being very economical, which again is a genuine reason for someone to buy it.

One of the dumbest adverts was the one where everyone was shaking their behinds at the camera :roll: . I can't believe they were trying to say it was a car for ****holes but I'm afraid that's all it meant to me. Unbelieveable.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Adverts have always been complete nonsense...

"Nothing acts faster than Anadin", so if you have a headache, take NOTHING, and you will be cured faster than if you took Anadin.

"Kit-e-Kat - nice cat-size pieces of meat". How the hell did they get something the size of a cat in such a small tin?.

With poor diction, Tesco now advertise a competitor: "Every Lidl Helps".

I'm sure that there are plenty of others...
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i liked the bl add with the tr7
[sig]5641[/sig]
daveallgood
Minor Friendly

Post by daveallgood »

One of the many things which irritates me is Autotrader adverts. You type in a required milage of 40,000 and end up with a list of cars with milages of 80 or 120 miles, obviously missing a few noughts.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

There's a whole load of psychology going on in some adverts - you don't have to like ads for them to be effective on you.

A Mars a Day helps you...... if the voice in your head just finished the sentence then the advert has long sice bypassed your reasoning. Think about it. The truth is something like ...'makes you overweight, rots your teeth and could cause diabetes' but it's not what you have been conditioned to respond.

Some adverts are using hypnotic language patterns to put someone into a suggestive frame of mind or to appeal directly to the subconscious. Eg.

"For the journey..."
"It speaks your language..."

This sentences don't really mean anything but they are not there by accident.

Less subtle is the authority figure - the 'newscaster' above or someone in a white coat.

And don't get me started on the meerkats! :):)
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Meerkats ?????? :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

The compare the meerkat series of ads IMHO is one of the cleverest ad ideas of recent years. I love it. Maybe even as much as PSL :lol:

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

Dan_Harris wrote: Maybe even as much as PSL :lol:
Surely not?

Jon Rocke
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

PSL184 wrote:Meerkats ?????? :-)
Not you PSL184, you're great, just fed up with everyone saying "simples" at the end of a sentence.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

:lol:
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

And don't get me started on the meerkats
Just give them 40 minutes on gas mark 7 and they're lovely. Simples!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sidney'61 wrote: oh, and dont forget, red bull gives you wings!
Thanks for explaning that Andy I thought it was wind :oops:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Perhaps we should feed the meerkats red bull and then they'd "fly away"! :lol: We have to be quiet in our house if a meerkat ad comes on the box. Still I've now found a way to keep unrouly Webmasters quiet - dvd of continuous meetkats ads :lol: :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Anyone seen the postman Pat Specsavers ad?

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Advertising standards

Post by ian.mcdougall »

seen the postman pat ad very funny there are some very funny and rude ones flying around t'internet
has any one noticed that there are adverts on the box for mascara where they state in small print that the pics have been enhanced post production also hair care products that have added hair extensions so it appears that you can do anything to an ad as long as you tell people in small print what you have done